Repeating Env

Repeating Env
« on: October 17, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »
I have been playing around the the new repeating envelopes. What I've learned so far.

- The total repeat period is based on delay + attack + decay. Cool that the Delay is part of the equation. That makes it possible to keep the same env shape, but modify how fast the env repeats. Almost wish the delay was a mod destination.  :)

- The sustain level does some funny stuff. Took me a while to figure it out. When the sustain is set to 100%, the decay time is switched to 0. That works well when the env is not repeating, but for a repeating env, it would be nice if the decay time kept its value.

- Repeating env with 0 attack, short decay and tweaking the sustain while playing: It appears as if the repeat stops when I'm lowering the sustain level, until it catches up. When I increase the sustain, the repeat frequency happens faster. Not what I expected, but it sounds cool. Makes me wish the sustain level was a mod destination.  ;)

- Release phase. If env 1 is repeating (filter) and env 2 is normal (amp) with a long release: When I release the key, env 1 stops repeating. Depending on where the env 1 is when the key is released, it can sound quite different (open filter vs closed). It is expected, but makes it a bit difficult to play with a fast repeating env.  This is how they are different than the LFOs

Re: Repeating Env
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 03:31:55 AM »
- The total repeat period is based on delay + attack + decay. Cool that the Delay is part of the equation. That makes it possible to keep the same env shape, but modify how fast the env repeats.
That's good to know.

- The sustain level does some funny stuff. Took me a while to figure it out. When the sustain is set to 100%, the decay time is switched to 0. That works well when the env is not repeating, but for a repeating env, it would be nice if the decay time kept its value.
Well, when the sustain is at the max level, there is no decay of level at all.
And, indeed, when the Sustain pot is near the max (at or above 4 o'clock), the decay is bypassed.
So, it's like the decay time is switched to 0.
That makes sense for me.

- Repeating env with 0 attack, short decay and tweaking the sustain while playing: It appears as if the repeat stops when I'm lowering the sustain level, until it catches up. When I increase the sustain, the repeat frequency happens faster.
I haven't experienced that. The repeat tempo remains the same except when the sustain is near the max.