Every 8 note is not playing

Every 8 note is not playing
« on: October 14, 2022, 04:11:53 AM »
Hi, I just recently hade problems with one analog voice being broken so I got a brand new main card from San Fran. But I got a new problem now all of a sudden. Every 8th key (not key-press) on the keyboard is not registering anything when played. I can see the voices getting run through pressing any other key but when pressing one on the dead ones nothing registers. Super weird, it can't be faulty keys since it'
s exactly every 8th one on the keybed, it has to be something software related? I updated the firmware and reset globals, and calibrated oscs and filters multiple times.

see the video here:

Mauro

Re: Every 8 note is not playing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 05:44:04 AM »
I think is a problem in the keybed. You can easily verify it by connecting an external MIDI keyboard and try to play your Rev 2 with it. The keyboard uses some sort of matrix for communicate with the processor, and one of the 8 matrix line is interrupted. Maybe only a flat cable maybe something else. Try to open the Rev2, identify the connector that connect the key to the motherboard and try to disconnect it and reconnect it, or look for something out of place.

maxter

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 12:51:54 PM »
Mauro nailed it, one of 8 lines for the keyboard-matrix is faulty, or not connected properly. And, like he said, sometimes simply reconnecting the cable to its connectors can solve the issue. If not, look if the cable is damaged and replace it, or if you have a multimeter you can check that all 8 cables are OK. The most likely cause, and the easiest to fix.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 05:31:29 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! It seems indeed the fault is in the keybed matrix as it persists when using it as a midi controller. I can't see anything weird inside and the cables are connected properly though. The keybed has two chunks of cables coming out of it, I figured out that one is for the lower part of the keys and the other for the upper. However disconnecting one of the cables the problem still persist on the other part of the keybed, so it can't be fault in the cables themselves, it seems unlikely that both upper and lower cables are broken in the same way. It must be something in this key matrix you mention. Is there any other way of checking anything further down the chain? I'll be writing this in a ticket as well.

Many thanks!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 05:49:14 PM »
Maybe this is coincidental but I saw a starsky Carr YouTube video of a similar issue and DSI sent him a second one with the same issue.  I hope this is not an issue with the Desktop versions?

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 07:07:45 PM »
Maybe this is coincidental but I saw a starsky Carr YouTube video of a similar issue and DSI sent him a second one with the same issue.  I hope this is not an issue with the Desktop versions?

Since desktop does not have a keyboard itself it's not the issue this thread is about.

Wasn't Starksy Carr having some issue with osc 2 only, as I recall?
- and it was a certain voice as he pressed same key
- that does not sound as keyboard issue

Only issue I had with mine 16-voice desktop was one preset using gated sequencer and one voice made a dive bomb. That was fixed with global reset and recalibration.

Mine is from july. Carr's video is 4 years old.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:18:20 PM by Autosynther »