Fixed and Locked: New Beta Main OS 1.0.0.10 - Factory preset issue

I've just updated my Take 5 to the new firmware level and seemed to have lost all the factory patches (all banks). My user patches however are still there (I did back these up). Anyone else here updated there firmware and had this issue.

I did also reset the global setting as recommended. Have I missed something?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 03:32:36 PM by cbmd »

Re: New Beta Main OS 1.0.0.10 - Factory preset issue
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 04:10:20 AM »
They haven’t appeared on banks 9-16 have they?

I’m fact, does the update mean there are also 256 factory patch slots now too?

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 04:57:18 AM »

I've just updated my Take 5 to the new firmware level and seemed to have lost all the factory patches (all banks). My user patches however are still there (I did back these up). Anyone else here updated there firmware and had this issue.

I have done Beta, too. There are more (9-16) user banks. But. what has happened to factory presets?

Moho

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 05:36:09 AM »
If needed the factory banks can be downloaded from the product page under support.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 05:58:50 AM »

I have done Beta, too. There are more (9-16) user banks. But. what has happened to factory presets?

Lots of people who have updated to the new firmware are reporting the issue. I have raised a support ticket with Sequential tech support.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 08:15:59 AM »
Yes, we are seeing this in house as well.  You will find a sysex file which loads the factory sound file to the factory sound locations attached.

Sorry for any inconvenience!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 10:54:57 AM »
Yes, we are seeing this in house as well.  You will find a sysex file which loads the factory sound file to the factory sound locations attached.

Thanks a lot for so quickly having taken care of this issue.
While the firmware update went smoothly with MIDI-OX I wasn’t able to reload the factory sounds with the sysex file you’ve given us in your last post. All factory programs still show "Basic P(no.)".

Thanks for any help.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 04:10:44 PM »

Is there a way to load or save programs to the Factory F9-FG banks?

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 01:17:04 AM »
Thanks a lot for so quickly having taken care of this issue.
While the firmware update went smoothly with MIDI-OX I wasn’t able to reload the factory sounds with the sysex file you’ve given us in your last post. All factory programs still show "Basic P(no.)".

Thanks for any help.

Update: Today it worked - without any changes in settings/setup.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 01:26:26 AM »
Is there a way to load or save programs to the Factory F9-FG banks?

I hope (better: expect) that this will be possible at least with an update of the Soundtower Editor.
This was also possible with the editor before, but it doesn't work correctly anymore due to the changed bank structure.

Of course, if you are skilled with sysex data you might be able to access the 9 additional Factory banks directly.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 12:22:43 AM »

I think either that file or the beta firmware has some memory address issues. Patch names for the Factory G patches garbled even after using the provided sysex file. I've tried reloading both the OS sysex and the patch sysex files multiple times at this point so I'm pretty sure it's not a transfer issue... Do other people see issues with the G Factory bank?

For example, with the "Factory" button lit up, Patch slot G01 shares the name of my personal User 101 patch.

And G03 through G11 have strange characters for names and don't make any sound.

Also, where should we share details about other bugs?

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 05:14:03 AM »

I think either that file or the beta firmware has some memory address issues. Patch names for the Factory G patches garbled even after using the provided sysex file. I've tried reloading both the OS sysex and the patch sysex files multiple times at this point so I'm pretty sure it's not a transfer issue... Do other people see issues with the G Factory bank?

For example, with the "Factory" button lit up, Patch slot G01 shares the name of my personal User 101 patch.

Argh.
Hey Sequential! Please test your software internally before you release it?  :( 
This is disappointing to hear. And I don't even have a Take 5.

I was really hoping Focusrite would help improve the software development.
 Now I'm losing hope for the next OS/firmware version for the Pro3.
Which, in my opinion, should be a seriously upgraded version 2.0.
That would take the Pro3 from being "one of the coolest" to "the best" mono synth(s) ever made.

(I know, it's a small company. And I do give them a break for not nailing everything.
 But, they could easily make this synth (Pro3) worth twice as much, with a really awesome features upgrade. - Common Focusrite!)

The software development seems to be lacking?
(Though, I'm putting up with the software problems for this amazing tone I'm getting! - So, still, cheers to the Pro 3!)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:50:51 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 10:41:07 PM »

Argh.

That would take the Pro3 from being "one of the coolest" to "the best" mono synth(s) ever made.

(I know, it's a small company. And I do give them a break for not nailing everything.
 But, they could easily make this synth (Pro3) worth twice as much, with a really awesome features upgrade. - Common Focusrite!)

(Though, I'm putting up with the software problems for this amazing tone I'm getting! - So, still, cheers to the Pro 3!)

Haha... Wow. What are you talking about?

Sequential specifically labeled this release of the firmware as a beta version. People that don't want to take a risk shouldn't install beta software. It's been that way for nearly the entire life of computer technology on this planet.

Personally, I have WAY more respect for companies that release beta's and engage with their users to address their concerns than companies that ignore their users and release firmware when they get around to it.

Additionally, software development isn't free. By that I mean software can't magically add features to existing hardware in a most of cases. Nor should it. A synth is an instrument and expecting drastic functionality changes via firmware updates is a pipe dream. If a company can sneak features in without compromising the existing design, stability, usability, and feature set of the original instrument, great! That's a cherry on top! It certainly shouldn't be the expectation when firmware updates are being developed.

Honestly, despite the bugs, this release already has WAY more potential and really does push the Take 5 even further towards being a wonderful synth.

To anyone at Sequential reading this: Thank you so much for your hard work on the firmware! I, for one, can't wait to test the next beta!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 07:39:22 AM »
Argh.

Like it or not, that's the way things are done now, and it seems to be an acceptable practice.  If you don't want to be a beta tester, then simply avoid newly released instruments.  Give each one about a year to mature, and after the bugs have been found by others and fixed by updates, then buy the instrument.  Otherwise, get used to the fact that the technology used in synthesizers has a complexity that doesn't allow the designers to initially release a new instrument in perfect functioning order.  As long as updates are forthcoming, you'll eventually get what was expected.   I don't like it either, personally, but that's the way it is.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:59:56 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Fixed and Locked: New Beta Main OS 1.0.0.10 - Factory preset issue
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 03:32:45 PM »
This issue has been fixed in the 1.0.0.13 OS.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,6622.0.html
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim