Keybeds

Jason

• Bandmix
Keybeds
« on: August 04, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
A few random thoughts: I was in New York this week to see Cats, the revival of which just opened on Broadway on Sunday. I was wondering if they would try to "update" the synthesizer sounds, which I love... but which I thought some may consider dated. The original premiere was from 1981, and I believe they used 3 or 4 Prophet 5's. I keep thinking that the Prophet-6 (or Prophet '08) would be perfect to recreate these sounds in the new revival. Unfortunately, the pit of Cats is completely hidden from the audience, and so I couldn't tell what they were using. But I'm happy to say that at least the new revival sounded like the old vintage sounds.

While in the city, I also stopped by Sam Ash and one of the two Guitar Centers. My hope was to get my hands on a new MiniMoog, but neither store had one (even though they are on their websites). I did get to play a Prophet-6, which was sitting atop an OB-6 at Guitar Center on 44th. At Sam Ash, they had neither... only had a Prophet '08 from DSI. They did have a Model 002, and an Access Virus. Several months ago, I was considering a Access Virus, in no small part because of the rave reviews of the keybed. While I do not regret my decision to get the '08 instead (the Virus display is very uninspiring), I must say the feel of the Virus is probably the best keybed that I've played on a non-hammer action synthesizer. The keys are about 3/8" longer than that of most keyboards. I silently played the keys of an '08 and then those on the Virus, and the contrast was striking: the DSI keys were noisy and cheap feeling, and the Virus was much quieter, with a feel of much greater quality. If such keybeds cost significantly more for the manufacture, I wish the better keys would be available as an upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:56:09 AM by Jason »

Re: Keybeds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »
The Access Virus kb features a Fatar TP-8S keybed, same as might be found in a Kawai K5000, Roland A-70, etc., and similar to the Ensoniq synth-action, poly-aftertouch keybeds from years past.

The P-6 and OB-6 both feature a shorter-throw TP-9S keybed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:29:12 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Keybeds
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »
And the Waldorf Blofeld also sports the TP/9S... by the way...
If you need me, follow the shadows...