Modulation / Firmware update issues

Modulation / Firmware update issues
« on: October 08, 2022, 07:31:57 AM »
I've had my OB-X8 for exactly a week now, and had immediately encountered some unusual behaviour of the modulation lever section (I've got an open support ticket running with Sequential on this). After using the modulation lever for vibrato once, full vibrato stays on any subsequent patch chosen even with the lever in default off position. Switching the buttons off kills the vibrato, but means that the lever cannot be used again in the same power cycle. Any new patch chosen starts up with both mod lights on and horrendous modulation applied to the sound. Plus, pitch bend seems to be a semitone at max up or down, and can change during playing without me touching it!

I asked them for the most recent firmware update (1.0.0.4) which I was sent, to see if this fixed the problem. I tried two separate SysEx programs (SySex Chat / Midi-Ox) but neither communicated with the OB-X8 from my laptop. I made sure the Global settings on the OB were set to receive SysEx data over MIDI not USB, and I've made sure the MIDI in / out cables were in the right ports. The firmware version on the OB stays resolutely on 1.0.0.1

Has anyone encountered an issue similar to this, or has a fix for it they can impart please?
If the firmware update doesn't fix the problem, the synth is having to go back to the retailer which is far from ideal.

Many thanks.

Re: Modulation / Firmware update issues
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 11:27:33 AM »
I remember having issues with it accepting firmware updates, but I can't quite remember how I solved them.  I think it wouldn't take the update until after I left the globals menu, which I'd been using to tweak the sysex settings.  There was definitely some kind of trick to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 08:44:17 AM »
Try using USB--I had no success updating via MIDI cables but USB has worked perfectly.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 01:21:27 PM »
I remember having issues with it accepting firmware updates, but I can't quite remember how I solved them.  I think it wouldn't take the update until after I left the globals menu, which I'd been using to tweak the sysex settings.  There was definitely some kind of trick to it.

Thanks, that was very helpful. I had to buy a new usb/midi interface and finally got it updated, but the problem is still the same with the constant vibrato. I'll probably have to return it...

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »
Try using USB--I had no success updating via MIDI cables but USB has worked perfectly.

Thanks! I finally got it updated but the problem is still there

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 01:23:47 PM »

Thanks! I finally got it updated but the problem is still there

Have you done a factory reset?