The OB-6 dimly LEDs issue

The OB-6 dimly LEDs issue
« on: October 04, 2022, 12:23:45 PM »
Hey all.
A new OB-6 owner here. Had to return my P6 couple of months ago due to the dimly lit LEDs issue. Did my research on OB-6 before purchasing. Whilst some guys confirmed they had similar issue, many said they didn't have it. So I purchased the Ob-6, hoping it won't have the issue with the leds. Well, seems it has it.

I have just spotted that the LEDs issue persists in the 0 to 9 section and some red dots glow in a darker room when they are not engaged. No point of sending an e-mail to Sequential, cause I have done this twice with the P6 and the answer was: "It is normal. There is nothing wrong with your synth."

Look at the SINE indicator, it is flickering at the same rate as the tempo button. Also the HALF indicator on the next video. When I play a note it is also flickering.
I think I simply have to decide whether this one is a keeper or not within the next few days.
Any advice, recommendation?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:05:53 PM by Spacesynth »

Re: The OB-6 dimly LEDs issue
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »
I have the opposite problem, I find the lights to be rather too bright and I find all that red very jarring on the eyes, particularly in a low light setting. I wish Sequential would add the option of dimming them.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 04:31:11 AM »
Hard to tell from the clips, but isn’t this just a case of how dark the studio / room is? It seems like the studio has almost zero lighting and therefore any reflections / refractions of light happening underneath the hood are going to be greatly exaggerated. Could that be the case?

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 01:05:50 AM »
Stop looking at the LEDs and listen to the sounds! It's a keeper for sure.
The LEDs on a vintage Prophet 5 were flikering like crazy when playing the synth, because the CPU was so busy doing everything inside. That didn't bother anybody who bought it when they heard what it sounded like!
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks for your replies! I decided to keep the synth. It is an exceptional instrument with incredible functions and unlimited sound spectrum. I am becoming used to it and paying less and less attention to the LEDs issue. And by the way - the knobs are super stable and none of them is wobbly - another common complaint, which I fortunately do not have. Consider myself lucky.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 11:40:53 PM »
BTW, if you want to check the overall uniformity of all of the front panel LEDs, you can hold the HOLD button, and keep it depressed, whilst powering on the OB6 and all of the LEDs should light up as long as you're holding down the HOLD button.
 (sorry for my poor English, I hope this makes sense?)

To reset the synth, power it down and back up again normally.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340