Transpose: Doesn't work with midi :(

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair services.
Transpose: Doesn't work with midi :(
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:38:52 AM »
I know you guys are pretty much in the 'stable OS' phase, but if you do iterate I would be overjoyed if you would have the Transpose function track incoming midi note data.

I use external controllers almost exclusively with a lot of other modules. If I select a patch on the P6 that isn't in the right register, I have to go into the patch to change the octave settings.

And then Yamaha and Roland have different setups for octave vs. pitch... It's a royal pain not to have Transpose active with incoming midi. That's where I would find it most useful!

Re: Transpose: Doesn't work with midi :(
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
Yes I totally agree. It does seem rather short sighted to exclude the octave setting via midi. I know there's an argument that says the P6 is a live performance instrument and therefore you'll be using it from the panel infront of you. But the truth is it is far more convienent to set the P6 up for a song from the master controller on my rig. Having to then remember to adjust the octave to suit the song is a pain. Really since the P6 has only 4 octaves of keys making the octave switches programmable via midi is the least you would expect. Please!
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
Can't this be set in program of the the keyboard controller?

When I trigger my P6 from my Nord Stage 2, the Extern section has an octave select switch which accomplishes this goal. 

-dj

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
Are you taking about playing the P6 from the NS2 keyboard via the extern section? AFAIK If you play the P6 keyboard the octave switches have to be set manually. So unless you redesign your P6 program to work in the range you want, the only solution to get the right octave with a program is to use the P6 panel switches.
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
Yes, correct, the midi signals coming from the NS 2 to the P6 can be adjusted to play the correct octave with the extern section.  The octave setting on the P6 does not need to be changed. If you play the P6 keyboard, then it will reflect its octave setting. The NS2 midi tranmission appears to be based on the entire note range and ignores the P6 Octave setting.

-dj

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:45:11 AM »
Note: redesigning your P6 program to run automatically in the octaves of your choice (so you don't have to press the octave switches) isn't just a matter of changing your osc pitches. You will also need to change your filter cutoff values if your program uses filter cutoff keyboard tracking. ;-)

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 02:56:29 AM »
I actually prefer it the way it is. That way I can be sure that my MIDI sequences will sound the same every time I load them and that I do not have to keep track of the state of the transpose button when playing/sequencing it.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »
The transpose function relates only to the keyboard controller housed with the synth. An external keyboard works the same way. The synth section needs to be programmed in the Osc to respond correctly to either controller. Middle C remains middle C, but responds based on how the keyboard controller (external or internal) is set. This makes sense to me, at least.
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop