Q compensation feature in 2.0.4 - Will you use it? How?

LPF83

Q compensation feature in 2.0.4 - Will you use it? How?
« on: September 27, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »
This feature surprised me, it's not something that I would have asked for but now that it's there, and I've heard it, I will no doubt be reaching for it from time to time to add a bit more punch to certain sounds.  It definitely adds a bit of modern flair to the tone, and more option for variety in sound design.

Curious about the specifics on how others plan to use this feature?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Q compensation feature in 2.0.4 - Will you use it? How?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 10:20:56 AM »
How did you hear it? Or did you download it and hear it? I haven't had a chance to install it yet. Sounds interesting.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
Sorry for a dumb question, but just what is Q compensation?
Prophet 10 Rev4, OB-X8, Moog One, Rhodes Mk8, Osmose, OB-6 desktop, Trigon 6 Desktop, Kawai VPC-1, Steinway D

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
This feature surprised me, it's not something that I would have asked for but now that it's there, and I've heard it, I will no doubt be reaching for it from time to time to add a bit more punch to certain sounds.  It definitely adds a bit of modern flair to the tone, and more option for variety in sound design.

Curious about the specifics on how others plan to use this feature?

I'll probably use it 100% of the time. Before I had to leave a bit of headroom on the volume knob of the Prophet to compensate for when I raise the resonance on a sound. Very nice new feature.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 03:11:12 PM »
Sorry for a dumb question, but just what is Q compensation?

On many filters as you turn resonance up, the low end falls out of the tone... Q compensation is just bass compensation, adding low end to compensate.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 03:13:49 PM »
How did you hear it? Or did you download it and hear it? I haven't had a chance to install it yet. Sounds interesting.

After you install the new OS and panel updates, you get to it through the third Global page.  It's something you'd probably never stumble on by accident, but it's easy enough to enable.  Instructions are at bottom of the new OS post:  https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4873.0.html