Please for the love of god put PROGRAM CHANGE TRANSMIT OFF in your synths!

I have a Prophet 10 rev 4 and an OB-6 which make an awesome team, I'll often use the seq/arp from the OB-6 to trigger the Prophet and sometimes use the Prophet's 5 octave keyboard to play the OB-6's sounds... usually these are layered or switched in real time on either synth to create interesting stuff for recording.

However... one massive flaw in these synths is that you can't turn program change transmit/receive off (unless - I think - you turn off all midi response?). So you can't use the 2 synth, your company's 2 synths well together without one synth changing the other synth's patch and messing up everything, or making things extremely difficult to work around with having to do things seperately.

This also applies to the VOLUME KNOB output that affects the volume on the other synth!

Can you please update the next firmwares with a simple toggle to disable program change TX/RX and Vol knob TX/RX on these otherwise awesome synths! This kind of stuff has been in synths since Dave himself invented MIDI (well.. not long after at least - probably Roland were the first to have it in some obscure menu somewhere in one of their romplers).

Please, seriously consider this... I do not wish to go and purchase hardware MIDI filter boxes for such a simple task that most of my other synths always had the ability to control!

Thank you Sequential.
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

Re: Please for the love of god put PROGRAM CHANGE TRANSMIT OFF in your synths!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 09:08:51 AM »
I have a Prophet 10 rev 4 and an OB-6 which make an awesome team, I'll often use the seq/arp from the OB-6 to trigger the Prophet and sometimes use the Prophet's 5 octave keyboard to play the OB-6's sounds... usually these are layered or switched in real time on either synth to create interesting stuff for recording.

However... one massive flaw in these synths is that you can't turn program change transmit/receive off (unless - I think - you turn off all midi response?). So you can't use the 2 synth, your company's 2 synths well together without one synth changing the other synth's patch and messing up everything, or making things extremely difficult to work around with having to do things seperately.

This also applies to the VOLUME KNOB output that affects the volume on the other synth!

Can you please update the next firmwares with a simple toggle to disable program change TX/RX and Vol knob TX/RX on these otherwise awesome synths! This kind of stuff has been in synths since Dave himself invented MIDI (well.. not long after at least - probably Roland were the first to have it in some obscure menu somewhere in one of their romplers).

Please, seriously consider this... I do not wish to go and purchase hardware MIDI filter boxes for such a simple task that most of my other synths always had the ability to control!

Thank you Sequential.

I asked the same thing back in November 2020 - but I'm pretty sure they replied with "This is how our synthesizers work."

For me, the way that I deal with this issue is using the MRCC (and other MIDI patchbays I'm sure) to block program change requests. My issue was that the program change messages were telling my Spectralis to go to another pattern, which was not at all acceptable. It has worked for me, and the MRCC is a pretty nifty device, but it is a bit of cash. Older patchbays are less than $100 and would do this too.

EDIT: Removed some stuff that was probably more negative than it needed to be.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:47:43 AM by acemonvw »