Question about output B and voice allocation.

Question about output B and voice allocation.
« on: September 15, 2022, 10:50:38 AM »
Just freed up space in my mixer today to be able to use Output B on my Rev2 (8voice). Splits sounding even better than before now they can be processed separately.
But confusion. When browsing patches which have no stack or split assigned I’m getting 4 voices from one output and four from the other. Why can't it play simple patches just from one output?
Surely on a non split/stacked preset all voices for a patch should come from output A. This is highly annoying if this is not the case. I don’t want to have to plug the cables in and out depending on the patch that’s current.
Am I missing something (or a setting somewhere?)? I don't want to put it in multi mode.

Re: Question about output B and voice allocation.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 03:24:08 AM »
It is a bit difficult to understand why this is the case (at least for me), but in this thread: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3385.msg39158.html#msg39158, late Razmo gave a good try at explaining how this works and why. The question Kasimir Effect raises is basically the same as yours, and I think the workaround he posts at the end is your best workaround too.

Re: Question about output B and voice allocation.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 04:23:20 AM »
If having 8-voice and constantly play 4-voice polyphony is problably not acceptable workaround.

I might look at making an own external flip switch that decides if REV2 detect plugs in B outputs.
It's usually very simple physical connector that makes contact when plug is inserted. Very common and often used on phones output too, if to silent onboard speakers and such.

So have a 2-pole flip switch on back of REV2, where each pole is in series with the switch on the femail connector. Should not be a problem to find a spot to put it, I think.

So if anything plugged into B outputs, that switch tells synth if to sum output to A output or not.

An even more sophisticated approach could be to pick signal to buttons Stack or Split, and when lit draws a relay that do the switch for you. This relay is in series also as mentioned above.
- then assuming stacked or split always use B outs if plugged in

So all automatic in relay case.

Have fun....