Expression and Sustain

Expression and Sustain
« on: September 11, 2022, 02:13:27 AM »
Wondering which pedals to get for the PX as my piano playing partner is missing the sustain.
Have you just re-used pedals you already have or bought them specifically for the PX?
I've seen sustain pedals modelled after traditional piano but not so for sustain - is it important to have the same type for both to feel right?
Any tips much appreciated!
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Re: Expression and Sustain
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 05:29:35 AM »
I've ordered the M-Audio sustain and expression pedals. It's not 100% clear if the sustain pedal is half-damper or not, but then I don't know if the PX is either!
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Re: Expression and Sustain
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 05:29:38 AM »
Here are my settings for the M-Audio pedals.

Sustain - Plugged into the Sustain socket, with the switch set to 1 on the pedal.
The PX Global setting 27 (Sustain Polarity) can be left at "normal".

Expression - Plugged into the Pedal/CV socket, with the switch set to 'other' and turned the level adjuster fully anti-clockwise on the pedal.
The PX setting 25 (Pedal/CV Mode) can be set to 'Foot CC4'.
Mod matrix has a dedicated slot for 'Foot', which I have tried mapping to 'EnvVCA Att' with value -50 to give a 'mute' effect on fast attacking sounds, like piano.

My friendly piano player finds this gives a lot more expression to her recordings!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:38:12 AM by Wasted »