String Synthesizers Old and New

Sacred Synthesis

String Synthesizers Old and New
« on: September 10, 2022, 05:26:05 PM »
I would love to see Korg re-issue an ARP Omni II FS, or even better, the Quadra.  But I don't expect either to happen.  So, that leaves whatever string synthesizers are in production, and they currently are very few in number.  The one that strikes me as possibly the best is the Waldorf STVC ($1,150).  It seems to sound better than its module predecessor, the Streichfett.  It also can produce a decent choir sound, which definitely interests me.

There's no shortage of superb string patches that DSI/Sequential instruments can make, nor other brand synthesizers.  But the old crude paraphonic string machine sound is altogether unique, and it responds in an equally unique way to effects such as reverb, chorus/ensemble, and phaser.  Personally, I would find it useful to have a dedicated instrument always at hand for adding that classic layer to support a piece of music.  I realize that other synthesists would prefer a module, but I'm in favor of both, for the purpose of combining the two in the usual way to create a stereo panned string machine.  Now that would sound magical.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:57:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

Re: String Synthesizers Old and New
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 05:24:07 AM »
I couldn't find any evidence that the basic sound engine is different between the STVC and Streichfett, but thought I'd mention you can get the STVC for $579 from Thomanns which I think is a great value all considered. 

I'd love to see Roland release RS-202 plugout for the System-8.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 10:39:04 AM »
I couldn't find any evidence that the basic sound engine is different between the STVC and Streichfett....

You may be right about that.  But the STVC has a slightly more elaborate synthesizer engine, and the addition of the vocoder certainly enhances the quality of the choir patches.  I haven't been able to find a video with a decent choir sound from the module version that comes even close to the above example.  That impressed me.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 12:06:43 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 01:06:31 PM »
I couldn't find any evidence that the basic sound engine is different between the STVC and Streichfett....

You may be right about that.  But the STVC has a slightly more elaborate synthesizer engine, and the addition of the vocoder certainly enhances the quality of the choir patches.  I haven't been able to find a video with a decent choir sound from the module version that comes even close to the above example.  That impressed me.

I see what you're saying now, and yes I agree the ability to modulate the sound using the vocoder opens up the ability to create sounds that the Streichfett would not be able to do on its own.  Running the Streichfett output into the input of another vocoder (for me the System8 or Virus Ti2 would be possible options) would produce a similar sound I think, but if one wanted to reach for that sound frequently (as well as the flexibilty to modulate it with a mic), the STVC is probably the best way to do that..  immediacy is important.   And honestly considering the addition of the vocoder, what's been written about the build quality (excellent), and the better patch management over the Streichfett, I think the Thomanns price is more than fair.
I do think if I owned either I would be somewhat longing for filter cutoff / resonance though.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »
I do think if I owned either I would be somewhat longing for filter cutoff / resonance though.

In a sense, isn't that what the Registration parameter is?  It dials through a whole series of timbres, including those throaty vocal tones.

Anyway, this choir patch issue has been a tangent.  My main interest really is in high-quality strings. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 01:52:53 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 01:54:43 PM »

In a sense, isn't that what the Registration parameter is?  It dials through a whole series of timbres, including those throaty vocal tones.

I see it as similar in the sense that both approaches modify the timbre.  However as far as I can tell it's more akin to cycling through a series of wavetables than it is to subtractive filter cutoff and res adjustments.  An analogy that comes to mind is FM synthesis;  technically one doesn't need a dedicated filter with frequency modulation, because the timbre variations are created a completely different way.  However, having a VCF available on an FM synth is always a plus.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 02:25:29 PM »
It would take more than a lowpass filter to emulate the sounds in the Streichfett/STVC.  I think the Registration parameter is a whole series of filter types. 

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 02:33:40 PM »
It would take more than a lowpass filter to emulate the sounds in the Streichfett/STVC.  I think the Registration parameter is a whole series of filter types.

Surely - I meant that I would miss the filter in addition to registration...  not to suggest one even belongs on a string machine, just that I would find myself reaching for it.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 08:46:57 PM »
I really think Moog would make a fantastic analog vocoder/string machine with built in analog chorus/phaser. It feels like it would really fit alongside their new Grandmother/Matriarch synths.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 11:40:14 AM »
Thanks for bringing these Waldorf string instruments to my attention. I was looking for something like this a few months ago and missed these. I just ordered the Waldorf Streichfett; hopefully I will not regret not getting the STVC!

I thought this review was excellent:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 02:44:15 PM »
Jason, I had carefully watched that video, too.  I'll be interested to learn what your opinion is of the Streichfett.  I would imagine, though, that the STVC might suit you better.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 05:21:11 AM »
I would imagine, though, that the STVC might suit you better.

You may right. Although the cost difference is reasonable and not that significant, there's a part of me that thinks I should not need another physical keyboard. Avoiding another keyboard means avoiding a conversation with my wife about adding another keyboard! The question for me is whether or not I would miss the Vocoder, and at this point, I'm optimistically thinking that I won't miss it.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 05:31:31 AM »
So let me get this straight.  You can't sneak a keyboard into your set up because your wife will surely notice.  But you can sneak a module in?  Hmmm, you might have just given me some excellent advice.  :D

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 06:27:11 AM »
So let me get this straight.  You can't sneak a keyboard into your set up because your wife will surely notice.  But you can sneak a module in?  Hmmm, you might have just given me some excellent advice.  :D

;D Absolutely! They are two totally different things! Keyboards cost thousands of dollars; those little boxes may only be $50. It is possible that maybe she noticed the Prophet '08 module when it first arrived. If she did, it was a short conversation. But I would bet money that she didn't notice when it morphed into a Rev2, and she never noticed anything smaller than that. ...But she has noticed every new keyboard.

Tip: For this last keyboard, I had first borrowed a keyboard for a long time from a friend, and so I think she gradually got used to how the room looked with the borrowed instrument. (The cost of the borrowed keyboard is irrelevant.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 06:29:28 AM by Jason »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 06:56:25 AM »
Ahhhh, so put any old keyboard in the room, let her eyes get used to it, and then quietly replace it with the instrument you actually want.  Got it! 

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2022, 07:39:55 AM »
Ahhhh, so put any old keyboard in the room, let her eyes get used to it, and then quietly replace it with the instrument you actually want.  Got it!

Exactly. Start looking on Craigslist for that $35 gem. Your life is about to change my friend!

maxter

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 02:18:11 PM »

I don't own an STVC, so I don't know for sure, but there's apparently a mod matrix of 5 slots, where the solo section filter frequency is a destination, resonance another... so you could use the mod wheel or an external midi CC controller for that. Far from the same as having those knobs on the hardware though. Some interesting mod sources, like the LFOs for the chorus and animate FX. But not the AD/R envelopes as far as I could tell, which seems odd.

Having owned the Streichfett for some years, I was highly skeptical at first but I've come to really like it. I, too, feared that I'd miss a few knobs such as cutoff... I mostly would've liked the second knob on the FX section, as on the STVC. But then again, the FX aren't the best anyhow, as on Rev2, so to me they more serve the purpose of quite immediate initial sound design tools, where one replaces the FX later on externally for recording. The immediacy and "lack" of controls is actually what I've come to like about it, as odd as that sounds to me. Despite this, it can still do so much more than the vintage string machines. I always was a fan of that vintage sound, but the old relics were always too limited for me, so I mostly just sampled them into my Ensoniqs for further sculpting.

I think the Streichfett nailed it. It's not like an emulation of an old SM, and doesn't really sound like one, a bit digital sounding maybe, but a few outboard FX help with that. And you'd probably want to use FX with the vintage SMs anyhow, so no big deal. The STVC is indeed tempting, but I like the small form of the Streichfett, as I have to be quite economic with space...
The Way the Truth and the Life

LPF83

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 04:08:28 PM »
but I like the small form of the Streichfett, as I have to be quite economic with space...

Same..  Form factor is a real consideration for me these days.

LPF83

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 02:44:42 AM »
Thought I'd mention Streichfett was just released in plugin form at an intro price of 33 euros.

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/streichfett-plugin-shop-en/product/225-streichfett-plugin

I think very highly of the Waldorf PPG Wave plug-in, so I'm looking forward to trying this one out.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2023, 03:29:21 AM »
String synths had thier own sound.I remember the Arp String Ensemble-as well as the the Arp  Omni and the Quadra. I played a Quadra once in a music store.  I liked the phasor effect the string synths were known for. They didn’t really sound like real strings but they were used on a lot of 70s records.
The OBX8 has a really authentic patch called string machine. The mellotrons strings sounded more realistic .  I once played a model 400 in a music store in the 70s. The mellotron didn’t sustain very long . It was a 8 second recording if I remember.  They make the digital mellotrons now and also
A newer improved one of  the orginal design with the library of the orginal recordings enhanced.
There are two companies that make the digital mellotrons. All of the classic progressive art rock bands ,Yes,Genesis,King Crimson  and the Beatles  and other early English rock bands used them. Mellotrons
like the string synths had a sound that was instantly recognizable.