P5 Key Presses Flip "Polarity" - Driving Me Nuts

REMIX

• A legend in my own mind
P5 Key Presses Flip "Polarity" - Driving Me Nuts
« on: September 10, 2022, 12:39:39 PM »
I have a P5 on 1.5.2 running USB via Ableton and it seems to have a mind of its own. It works fine for a little bit then "flips" key presses where ON triggers to off, and OFF (release) triggers on. No rhyme or reason to it, either. I've found yanking the USB cable then plugging it back in works for a little while then it goes right back. Does anyone know where to start looking? I suspected a MIDI loop but this thing is set up exactly like my OB6 and that never does this. I'm kinda out of ideas.

Maybe it's a faulty USB jack? I have had issues in the past with USB MIDI not working at all unless I rebooted the P5. I'm also out of DIN ports, so DIN-MIDI isn't really a convenient option at the moment.
Prophet 5v4, Iridium, AN1X, Jupiter 8, Juno 60, Juno 106, OB-6, Virus kB, D50, Alpha Juno 1, Pro One, ESQ1, JX-8P, OP-1, DX7, CZ-1, JP8000, M1, TR808, RD8, TD3, DFAM, System 8

LPF83

Re: P5 Key Presses Flip "Polarity" - Driving Me Nuts
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 01:18:04 PM »
Do all three Local Control modes behave the same?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 05:57:01 AM »
I have a P5 on 1.5.2 running USB via Ableton and it seems to have a mind of its own. It works fine for a little bit then "flips" key presses where ON triggers to off, and OFF (release) triggers on. No rhyme or reason to it, either. I've found yanking the USB cable then plugging it back in works for a little while then it goes right back. Does anyone know where to start looking? I suspected a MIDI loop but this thing is set up exactly like my OB6 and that never does this. I'm kinda out of ideas.

Maybe it's a faulty USB jack? I have had issues in the past with USB MIDI not working at all unless I rebooted the P5. I'm also out of DIN ports, so DIN-MIDI isn't really a convenient option at the moment.

I’d suggest updating to the latest firmware because that bug was fixed ages ago.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 06:02:54 AM »
Running the latest firmware here with 2.0.4, and I just had this happen to me for the first time when connected to Ableton via USB only.  I previously had MIDI Out set to MIDI-Din only, as I found USB was unreliable with my mac (which I believe has recently been resolved), and never had a problem with that configuration (Din out and USB in). The bug still appears to be there.

This is with Local Ctrl set to SON.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 02:06:59 AM »
My guess is that it seems to be a quirk in Ableton. This never happened to me with logic or luna running the latest firmware on my P10 rev4 keyboard. Hooked up to my Mac via USB and using DIN Midi for my external sequencer/arpeggiator