How I use my P12

How I use my P12
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
I am constantly reading of people who want their P12 (and this applies to many other synths as well) to sound like some other synth. Imo that is a waste of time and money and not what the P12 was designed for. I mean, you can make it sound like other synths, but why? It is a sound designer's dream. I think that DS was totally correct to make the oscs digital with 6 powerful SHARC chips. He even said it - something along the lines of that the oscs were designed digital so they can do things that are not possible with analog oscs. And it is true. I still think that DS is of the opinion that it is his best synth ever. He definitely went out on a limb with the P12 with its digital oscs. The only downside for him is that so many people were turned off of the digital oscs, even without ever hearing or playing a P12! I do not think that the P12 sold poorly, but if so many people were not so close minded then it would have sold a lot more. But as it is when they stop making the P12 it will be recognized as a true classic and be very desirable. Sure, although I am more into sound design, I can make lush pads and other bread and butter patches and yes, make it sound like another synth. But the best way to make any synth sound like another one is easy. Buy the other one. Also, people say that the P12 cannot do bass and I call BS on that. If it cannot do bass then how was I able to do this? (P12 only,no effects)

https://soundcloud.com/vomit-mo/prophet-12-bass
Sequential Pro 3
DSI Prophet 12
Moog Sub 37
Moog Mother-32
Elektron Octatrack
Elektron Monomachine
Korg Monotribe
Arturia KeyStep
Arturia BeatStep Pro
Monotonic Labs Type U-73
DSI Poly Evolver PEK
Behringer Odyssey
Pittsburgh Modular SV-1

Re: How I use my P12
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:05 AM »
I fully agree with you. You can do things with the P12 that can't be done with other synths. I don't necessarily want it to sound like another synth, that's what the other synths are for.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:40:26 AM »
I don't even have another synth (one day I may get my (1984) DX7 repaired). I totally agree with you guys - I want to create my own sound world and the P12 lets me do that to excess - the 200+ voices I have written with all the expression options give me a timbral palette that will last me decades.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »
Actually, what is cool with the P'12 is the fact that it's a powerful sound design synth AND a bloody funny player synth :)

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
I definitely second the fun to play point -- in performance I'm constantly tweaking things to match what I feel the music needs at any given point. With some synths it might be possible to manipulate the sound as deeply, but not necessarily as immediate as it is with P12.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
Also, people say that the P12 cannot do bass and I call BS on that. If it cannot do bass then how was I able to do this? (P12 only,no effects)

https://soundcloud.com/vomit-mo/prophet-12-bass

Track not found.   :-\