Bug during modulation shortcut assignment

Bug during modulation shortcut assignment
« on: August 25, 2022, 04:49:05 AM »
Hello,

I am having a problem using the shortcut of “modulation source” shortcut assignment. When I hold down “assign source” and touch a modulation source, it always assigns it to “modulation 4’s source”. I think it is a bug and a important one which prevents me from quickly assigning modulation source.

Re: Bug during modulation shortcut assignment
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »
Can someone try this by holding the  modulation “assign source button” while clicking on any of the LFO button? It always assigns it to modulation source #4 or #5.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
I pressed the "assign source" button and the LFO #3 button and it was assigned to modulation source #11.  I think it assigns to the first empty slot?  If I load the basic program (selection #30 in the GLOBAL functions) then do, as above, the LFO does get assigned to slot #4, but there are already three mod sources assigned to #s 1-3.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 01:16:40 PM »
Thank you for trying. When you initialise patch you have three slots filled for modulation matrix so it assigns it to modulation slot #4, and it does it even when you are on an another modulation slot which is annoying. And to see this is a bug, even after you assigned a source to modulation #4, this shortcut always assigns it to the same spot, as I've said it doesn't check focused slot for the modulation source. Also I tried some factory patches, which has 9 slots filled, and it automatically assigns it to number 10. So the logic is true that it assigns it to the first empty slot, but it keeps assigning to the same spot, even when you assigned a thing there, so it doesnt look for empty slot. Anyway it is clearly a bug. I am glad someone verified this. I will send Sequential an e-mail, which I should already have, but I thought they were already looking here.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 05:38:48 PM »
I believe it's functioning exactly as intended.  The "Assign Source" button is effectively a shortcut for creating a new modulation, so it always uses the first unassigned slot.  It can be used from anywhere so it's not that surprising that it doesn't behave differently depending on what page is currently shown on the display (which one is the "current" modulation when you're looking at oscillator settings?  The question is meaningless.)

You'll find that it keeps overwriting the same modulation slot until you also assign a destination (I don't think you have to assign an amount as well, but I guess you could confirm that experimentally.)  Once a modulation slot is fully defined, holding source and touching a relevant modulation source will create a new modulation entry in the next available slot.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 06:30:16 AM »
Thank you Lady Gaia for the explanation. I didn't realize "You'll find that it keeps overwriting the same modulation slot until you also assign a destination". Now it makes great sense. Altough it is much preferable to choose the "focused" modulation source, this works perfectly well. Thanks.