Question about the unison mode

Question about the unison mode
« on: August 24, 2022, 04:47:11 AM »
Hi All,

Question about the Unison mode. And probably this is mostly my lack of understanding how this mode actually works. The point is that I can create a good lead patch, that sounds like I want. Then I go into unison mode, to fatten up the sound, and the envelopes get really messy. It sounds like pressing a new note (what I assume will retrigger the envelopes) will apply a sharp attack and not follow the value set on the patch originally. When playing fast this completely ruins the playability of the sound.

Here are a few steps to reproduce it (this is not my patch, but only to illustrate the problem):
1. Start from init patch
2. Filter Cutoff 0, and ENV AMOUNT +127
3. make a fairly slow envelope on the filter (attack 80, decay 90, release 100)
4. Play some fast notes, and note the slow filter barely opens unless you hold a note for some time (as expected)
5. Now, turn on UNISON and select 4 or more voices (the more voices, the more exaggerated the problem is)
6. Play some fast notes, and notice how the slow attack is gone and every note has a very sharp filter attack.

I theorize that the issue may be that the filter envelope is not duplicated across all voices but somehow shared, and when a new note is played the filter env is not retriggered correctly.

There is probably a perfectly reasonable explanation on this, and it is probably related ot my misconception of how unison works. I'd appreciate an explanation on this?
I'd like to know if what I'm trying to do is possible on the Rev-2?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Re: Question about the unison mode
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 12:18:39 AM »
Hi,
same behavior with AMPLIFIER.

From Init patch:
ATTACK = 100
DECAY = 0
SUSTAIN = 100
RELEASE = 100
try with or without UNISON

When the RELEASE is long, it seems that LastR in UNISON mode works when the ATTACK time is up.
So with long ATTACK times you have to wait.

The AUX ENVELOPE work in the same way.

<<The LastR in UNISON mode don't work fine.>>

Silvano

Re: Question about the unison mode
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 11:13:01 AM »
I don't think it is a bug at all - I think to do with that default basic program has Low as keymode.
With unison on, this mean that legato playing get no attack/decay.

Setting keymode LastR - it always retriggers and works fine as far as I can tell.