Care of Wood Finish

Care of Wood Finish
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
Hi
 I have a cloudy blemish on the front edge of both wood side Panels on the Prophet-6. The rubber protector from the On Stage Stand seems to have stuck a bit, & left a blemish. Any suggestions to polish these up would be helpful.
 I have some Miracle Finish restorer for guitars that is safe for guitars...thot I would check before I use it.
Thanks
Prophet-6, Korg M3,Petros Classical Guitar, Gibson ES 339, Blackstar HT20,Pigtronix PK, Cry Baby, Aqua Puss. Roland VS840GX.

Re: Care of Wood Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
I'm having this exact same issue with my stand. See the attached picture. You can see where the rubber stopper used to sit.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
We inquired with our wood vendor regarding care and maintenance of the wooden sides under these circumstances, and they passed on the following information:

"I would try #0000 steel wool  and then rub some Howard’s Feed n Wax on it (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounce/dp/B001BKQYGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445384357&sr=8-1&keywords=howard%27s+feed+and+wax).  You can get that stuff anywhere, Home Depot sells if for sure."

SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
Hi
 I have a cloudy blemish on the front edge of both wood side Panels on the Prophet-6. The rubber protector from the On Stage Stand seems to have stuck a bit, & left a blemish. Any suggestions to polish these up would be helpful.
 I have some Miracle Finish restorer for guitars that is safe for guitars...thot I would check before I use it.
Thanks

I experienced the same issue with the front edge of my Pro 2. It was placed on the top tier of an On Stage Stand as well. The rubber protector was all sticky where it touched the wood.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 12:51:56 AM »
Ok ...Thanks for the Reply

We inquired with our wood vendor regarding care and maintenance of the wooden sides under these circumstances, and they passed on the following information:

"I would try #0000 steel wool  and then rub some Howard’s Feed n Wax on it (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounce/dp/B001BKQYGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445384357&sr=8-1&keywords=howard%27s+feed+and+wax).  You can get that stuff anywhere, Home Depot sells if for sure."
Prophet-6, Korg M3,Petros Classical Guitar, Gibson ES 339, Blackstar HT20,Pigtronix PK, Cry Baby, Aqua Puss. Roland VS840GX.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:19:57 PM »
I finally got some Howards Feed & Wax & will show the results as soon as I apply it to the Prophet 6.
 Attached are 2 photos that show the blemish to each wood side.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »
I finally got some Howards Feed & Wax & will show the results as soon as I apply it to the Prophet 6.
 Attached are 2 photos that show the blemish to each wood side.
Here are the after photos after treatment ....there is some improvement & it depends on the angle of view & lighting conditions. These 2 photos give a fair idea of the kind of results I obtained from a couple of applications of Feed & Wax.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:43:29 AM »
This may sound silly, but try a walnut. Just rub it over the area, its worked on many of my synths and pieces of furniture better than a lot of the recommended treatments!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 12:08:50 PM »
This may sound silly, but try a walnut. Just rub it over the area, its worked on many of my synths and pieces of furniture better than a lot of the recommended treatments!
  sounds like a possibility...think I could sand the finish to achieve a more even appearance since the finish is still intact, just discolored.  Oh well ,Maybe in 20 years or so.

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair services.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 06:04:38 AM »
I've considered refinishing mine.

The wood seems to have a sort-of shiny green hue from the (I presume) polyurethane finish and just isn't very complementary to the otherwise awesome design and color execution.

Needs to be taken down and have a rubbed linseed or tung oil finish applied.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
Actually the blemish appears to be mostly corrected with the Howards Wax ...I thot the photos were pretty close to the true appearance however they show almost the opposite of what I am seeing.
 Still it will show differently in different lighting situations.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
My Moog Voyager must have been factory-finished with a protective wax because it does not get tarnished at all by the rubber bumpers on my dual tier On Stage stand.  They did however "burn" into my Prophet's natural unfinished walnut.  If DSI just took a minute to stain and protect the walnut, I believe we wouldn't be dealing with these blemishes.  Putting adhesive-backed felt sticker pads over the rubber bumpers solved this issue.
Moog Voyager, Prophet 6, OB-6 Desktop, Korg MicroKorg-S, Toraiz SP-16 and AS-1.