Who has a Take 5 and a Korg Prologue

Who has a Take 5 and a Korg Prologue
« on: August 21, 2022, 10:38:33 AM »
I just got a Take 5, but also have a Korg Prologue 8. Really interesting comparing them, they are really quite different in personality. But they both sound really great. Also Have a Pro 3, but of course that is mono.

Re: Who has a Take 5 and a Korg Prologue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 01:28:10 PM »
I don't have a Take 5. I have a P5 and a P6, though. I've been a Prologue fan from the start and one thing I love about it is that it's indeed quite a complimentary synth in contrast to others. It's got a thinner sound than Sequential synths, but it's got a really nice range from pretty/beautiful to freaky/weird. It balances with/against my Sequential gear.

I recently sold my Juno 6 after having picked up the Roland System 8, which, has to be said, can utterly nail the Juno sound. The Juno, while also being pals with my Sequential gear, often felt like it was saying, "But me! I'm here... you don't need those other synths!" The Prologue isn't showy, even when it's generating the loveliest of tones.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 04:21:21 PM »
Visually and layout-wise, the Prologue is absolutely gorgeous! I bought it to play live, but just can't bring myself to gig with it, it seems too nice. The Take 5 is also very nice, but seems pretty durable for live use.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 07:02:12 PM »
Visually and layout-wise, the Prologue is absolutely gorgeous! I bought it to play live, but just can't bring myself to gig with it, it seems too nice. The Take 5 is also very nice, but seems pretty durable for live use.

I've used my Prologue for gigging only a couple times, in venues where I knew it'd be safe. I rarely bring synths to gigs - guitar, electric or acoustic and piano, acoustic or digital - is my bag. But the Take 5 has certainly pulled at me with gigging in mind. It looks sturdy, and looks like it wants to be onstage. Tempting, but since the pandemic kicked off, I've cut way down on gigs, even as things have seemingly opened up, so I can't really justify another synth. But since when has that stopped me?

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 08:25:54 PM »
I am kind of similar to what you have mentioned--don't often bring a dedicated synth to gigs, as I am also a multi-player, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, etc. But for gigs that merit it, I really like having a dedicated synth. As good as most workstations are today (I have a Kurzweil PC4), they still seem to pale in comparison to a dedicated synth, especially for analog sounds.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 09:36:21 AM »
I juuuust sold my Prologue 8, but up until now i had both, and yea they are very different synths, as for live playing i feel the Take 5 cut through much better, but i do miss the low end of the Prologue, the Take 5 needs a bass boost most of the time to cover that ground for me.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
I juuuust sold my Prologue 8, but up until now i had both, and yea they are very different synths, as for live playing i feel the Take 5 cut through much better, but i do miss the low end of the Prologue, the Take 5 needs a bass boost most of the time to cover that ground for me.

Curious! I've not played a Take 5, but would've assumed it would have a "classic" Sequential low end. The Prologue, on the other hand, has never been a go-to for bass. Then again, I've only used it live twice, so I've hardly any experience of it through a pumping system. I'll be soon back in Berlin and will make the trek to JustMusic to check out the Take 5, though I'm sure I'll be listening through a pair of crackly headphones...

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 11:05:45 AM »
I don't know, on my home system with big speakers the Take 5 has a pretty beefy low end. The Prologue can too, depending on the patch.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 05:05:17 AM »
Never owned a Prologue or T5, but I always thought it was an odd choice of Korg to include a low frequency compression feature on the Prologue 16 voice and not the 8 voice.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »
Cost savings? I don't know...
I have the 8 and don't really miss it. I can always compress on the outboard side if I feel the need. The 8 is pretty beefy as is.

Never owned a Prologue or T5, but I always thought it was an odd choice of Korg to include a low frequency compression feature on the Prologue 16 voice and not the 8 voice.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 04:00:38 PM »
I use the TAKE5 and the Minilougue XD together and they complement each other well.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 06:23:50 PM »
Nice!