Any chance for an OB-X16...?

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
Any chance for an OB-X16...?
« on: August 19, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
I really like what I'm hearing for demos, and would bite, but one thing holds me back. I want to be able to generate double-mode, 8-voice patches. Now you're really got a beast that fits into my world.

Any thoughts on this? Can the architecture even support the possibility (ala Prophet 5/10)?

LPF83

Re: Any chance for an OB-X16...?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »
I really like what I'm hearing for demos, and would bite, but one thing holds me back. I want to be able to generate double-mode, 8-voice patches. Now you're really got a beast that fits into my world.

Any thoughts on this? Can the architecture even support the possibility (ala Prophet 5/10)?

If history is any indication of the future, this would likely be possible with a keyboard + hopefully upcoming desktop version polychained.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 04:09:32 PM »
I would hope for an integrated unit. I have the Prophet 6 and have almost pulled the trigger on a desktop to polychain a half-dozen times, but in the end it's yet another stereo audio input to balance and manage along with physical space. It would have to sit on the floor, not a worthy end for such a great synth.

So, while I would applaud the maneuver, a 16-voice unit for stage or studio would be superb and unbeatable compared to the latest analog offerings. Make it 16 voice, add $1500, sign me up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 04:27:06 PM by synthRodriguez »

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »
I would hope for an integrated unit. I have the Prophet 6 and have almost pulled the trigger on a desktop to polychain a half-dozen times, but in the end it's yet another stereo audio input to balance and manage along with physical space. It would have to sit on the floor, not a worthy end for such a great synth.

So, while I would applaud the maneuver, a 16-voice unit for stage or studio would be superb and unbeatable compared to the latest analog offerings. Make it 16 voice, add $1500, sign me up.

I think the value proposition is there, what would for some be basically two OB-Xs for $6,500 or just a doubled monster 8 voice.  But when I think of it from Focusrite's perspective, the price point of the existing 8 voice has been the main point of objection...  Probably most analog synth lovers would love to own this synth, but for any type of product there is a certain price point at which sales numbers drop off...  and I just wonder if $5k is sort of the inflection point at which MSRP becomes no man's land.

Then again, maybe they designed it such that an 8 voice upgrade board can be dropped in like the Prophet5?

As much as I adore the polyunison (doubled P5) mode of the P10, it's such a thick sounding synth that I often find myself scaling it back in order to blend better with other instruments.  And, Obie's are thick sounding synths too.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 08:04:34 PM »
Look inside - are there any unused multi connectors at the boards inside (like at the P5 rev 4)? If so it might be prepared for voice expansion, if not it’s not likely.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 09:01:22 PM »
I don't think so... Because the OBX8 already has a daughterboard.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 07:19:41 PM »
Yeah, put me down for an expansion card if by some chance the beast supports it. All my favorite sounds are those big, layered stereo monstrosities, but then the 4-voice note limit ruins all the fun. I'd be first in line if a voice expansion were possible!
Jim Daneker
Composer/Producer, Nashville TN
www.jimdaneker.com

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 09:30:26 PM »

Looks like the 8 voices are on that daughter board. They might be able to fit another board under that one with "stacking" plugs, if there's height space, and heat space.

[Edit:  Wait, if that's the case, could you stack another one on there for a 24 voice? - But that might hit the processor too hard.]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:37:38 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 06:55:33 AM »

Daughterboard holds voices 5-8.
The main board holds voices 1-4.

There are no other interconnects on the main board for more daughterboards, so eight voices is the max.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »
You always buy 2, 3 or more OB-X8 and double, triple etc the voices if you are prepared to pay for 16, 24 or more voices. Another more cost effective way is to use a DAW and record unlimited amount of voices and layers.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 07:15:46 AM »
You always buy 2, 3 or more OB-X8 and double, triple etc the voices if you are prepared to pay for 16, 24 or more voices. Another more cost effective way is to use a DAW and record unlimited amount of voices and layers.

Unfortunately the OB-X8 does not have a chain function.  Hopefully this can be added.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »

Unfortunately the OB-X8 does not have a chain function.  Hopefully this can be added.

That was a shame, than I can’t add 15 more OB-X8 to chain to a 128 voices machine. Hope they fix that in next firmare update.