Cassette Load Function - Questions

Cassette Load Function - Questions
« on: August 19, 2022, 11:17:17 AM »
There's just a quick mention in the manual about the Cassette Load:

31. Load frm Cassette: Using the Arp input jack on the OB-X8’s rear
panel, data recordings of OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-SX, and OB-8 presets can
be loaded to the synth’s memory

I'm wondering if anyone has done this, or @sequential team, can you let me/us know what to expect?

If I'm loading a cassette (audio .wav) backup that is from an OB-Xa
(I believe the .wav has 32 patches defined) 

1. Is there anything that needs to be done to the .wav before sending it?  Is there an optimal dB level, and what about if there's a couple seconds of silence before the data sounds begin... assuming that's fine. 

2. Will it load into the OB-Xa bank (X8 bank 3)?   If so, will it start at Group 1, Patch 1?    Or is there any sort of interpolation to where the patches will go? 

3. Will all the patch names be "Basic Program", and will the Xa filter be selected for them? 

Any other considerations or info that might be applicable? 

Thanks!

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Re: Cassette Load Function - Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 02:15:05 PM »
There's just a quick mention in the manual about the Cassette Load:

31. Load frm Cassette: Using the Arp input jack on the OB-X8’s rear
panel, data recordings of OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-SX, and OB-8 presets can
be loaded to the synth’s memory

I'm wondering if anyone has done this, or @sequential team, can you let me/us know what to expect?

If I'm loading a cassette (audio .wav) backup that is from an OB-Xa
(I believe the .wav has 32 patches defined) 

1. Is there anything that needs to be done to the .wav before sending it?  Is there an optimal dB level, and what about if there's a couple seconds of silence before the data sounds begin... assuming that's fine. 

2. Will it load into the OB-Xa bank (X8 bank 3)?   If so, will it start at Group 1, Patch 1?    Or is there any sort of interpolation to where the patches will go? 

3. Will all the patch names be "Basic Program", and will the Xa filter be selected for them? 

Any other considerations or info that might be applicable? 

Thanks!

Just wanted to update this thread in case other have questions about this.  I messaged support as well, and they got back to me with some info, and I have since done my import. 

Firstly, you should back up your existing patches... OB-X8 has a menu option that lets you dump sysex data for single programs, groups, banks, or the entire device.   I backed up all my banks first, dumping data to my profile at https://www.presetpatch.com/sysextools/  ... though you can use any MIDI sysex tool (Sysex Librarian, MIDI-Ox)

The audio .wav (cassette backups) have several seconds of carrier tone before modem sounds kick in with all the data.   After you press the Write button to initiate the Globals cassette load routine, and start the playback (through the 1/4 Arp Input Jack),  the screen on the OB-X8 will update and show a message indicating whether the audio level is too low, too high, or just right.   I definitely had to do some level adjustments to hit the sweet spot.   And I ran the routine a few times.   Be ready to adjust levels going to the Arp In jack. 

As the cassette audio plays, it appears that OB-X8 stores the data in some buffer memory... once the audio is complete, the OB-X8 will flash a bunch of lights for several seconds... as it presumably transfers the buffer memory info into the patches and saves them to the device. 

The cassette backup .wav file I was importing was from an OB-Xa, and it was correctly identified by OB-X8, and loaded into the Xa bank on the synth.   It overwrote groups 1-15 in the Xa bank (120 patches), leaving group 16 untouched.   Every patch is named a generic title of "OBXa Cassette".   

The Xa Filter was correctly selected for all imported patches, and Osc 2 level was set to "49" for many of them... I assume that's the level match for sending "Half" Osc 2 to filters.   Good to know for recreating other patches based on original OBXa sounds.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 08:25:44 PM »
I've been trying to load my Ob-8 patches into the OB-X8. When i start the transfer, it says the signal is good and after it says receiving transfer. When it ends, I noticed it went into the OB-XA bank and none of my sounds were there. It just says OB-XA cassette. Please help

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 02:41:06 PM »
Does anyone know, if there is the possibility to save sounds from the OB-X8 to Cassette?
This would be very cool stuff :)

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 08:58:32 PM »
Does anyone know, if there is the possibility to save sounds from the OB-X8 to Cassette?

Why?  Because tape sounds warmer?

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 12:45:15 AM »

Why?  Because tape sounds warmer?

Of course ;)

To save to cassette sound like a fun way to go all the way old school.