Firmware update feature requests/bugs

Re: Firmware update feature requests/bugs
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2023, 03:10:45 PM »
I don't own an OB-X8 but I've seen a video demo where the synth was in layer mode, and you couldn't tweak the filter cutoff of both layers simultaneously, but that was an early firmware revision and Oberheim/Sequential said that they were working on that. Has it been added yet in the later firmware revisions? Anybody know? Thanks.

That's what the rear panel FILTER jack is for.

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2023, 04:15:36 AM »
Arpeggiator doesn't have clock divider when receiving external clock. I would think the Rate dial should be a good solution for this.

Yes! To add to some of the other comments, I would love to see:

- Clock divider on the ARP when using an external clock

- When in double/split, have a MIDI channel for each part

-  Use the screen to show ADSR when editing

- Use the screen to show any parameter value when editing

- allow setting to change sustain pedal to hold versus slow fade style. I like both. Option would be great.

- Would like some other options on the ARP style in general. I love arpeggios and it can feel a bit limited at times.

Most of these have been suggested before. Might be good to add an upvote to the forum. :)

Keep improving on this amazing machine! :)

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2023, 04:20:43 AM »
- allow setting to change sustain pedal to hold versus slow fade style. I like both. Option would be great.

That's already there (but it's a global config); global menu, page 17: "Sustain Pedal Mode"

Unfortunately, OB-X8 doesn't (yet?) have a config for note priority, so it's not as useful as on other synths

Laubi77

• 80s.. synths.. guitars..
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2023, 11:50:46 AM »
I use DOUBLE mode alot - editing UPPER and LOWER simultaneously would be much easier by simply pressing both buttons...

Pressing UNISON with 1 to 8 for the number of voices would be handy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:57:30 PM by Laubi77 »

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2023, 02:00:19 AM »
I sold my previous pride and joy, a vintage Prophet-5, to purchase an OB-X8. I thoroughly researched the sound design parameters beforehand and have no complaints. But, I have been thinking about the one feature that the Prophet offers that the X8 lacks, namely high audio-rate modulation of the filter cutoff. I know that the OB-X8's LFO can be pushed to 50 Hz and applied to the filter (and indeed PWM). However, for each voice, the Prophet's Poly-Mod controls let you apply the frequency of Oscillator 2 to the filter chip that it's being fed through, which can yield interesting results.
I accept that this can't be done in hardware unless the circuits were laid out so as to permit it, although I can think of a way that it could possibly be done in software, were the processor sufficiently powerful. But what about a Page 2 option to let you switch the LFO into a higher frequency range, in the manner of the Buchla Music Easel? Were this possible, you could at least modulate the filter chips en masse at a high frequency, e.g. 5 kHz.

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2023, 01:06:51 AM »
This was mentioned before, but I like to emphasise it.

1) syncable LFO`s  - please (It`s so hard to dial in the right amount. A 5 or 10 time "magnification", using the same knob while make it finer to use would do the job, too. But maybe it`s not helping the process to become more simple, as it could have been.)

While making a track it happens occasionally that I change the bpm of it. It really varies from day to day in the early phase of creation until it is set.

2) panspread in per cent in stead of quarters of a whole. Smoother, like on an OB-6

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2023, 09:37:59 AM »
1- Make Page 2 shortcuts work with manual mode.

2 - Add an option to delete/add space when naming a patch. Perhaps a keyboard note press.

3 - Add 2nd Page shortcut to adjust Osc volume by way of freq knob.

4 - Sync LFOs to tempo.

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2023, 02:06:21 PM »
I doubt it's possible, but Split/Double Mode REALLY should store both layers' patch data. As of now, you have to save both layers' patches separately, and then be mindful of which patches are used by Double/Split presets. Reminds me of the mind-numbing Tone/Patch system of the Roland JX-10 and others... all the way through the current Jupiter-X. There is literally zero reason it should work this way, and it really hamstrings a crucial part of this synth...
Jim Daneker
Composer/Producer, Nashville TN
www.jimdaneker.com

Re: Online Preset Management
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2023, 03:24:57 PM »
I find the biggest weakness of OB-X8 is the preset saving and management. I would love to have an online manager similar to Novation's Components app/website. They did such a good job building a framework for managing devices, including firmware updates, preset management, etc.

The SoundTower editor is just not working out for me. I keep buying their editors hoping they will get better but feels like they are just not so strong at the whole UI design and workflow thing. This type of tool really is something that Sequential / Oberheim ought to own in house. This tool could also be used to trigger calibrations, keep track of administrative stuff like this so that you know what you have installed and when. Also, it's a great way to distribute preset collections for users. This is one of my favorite aspects of the Peak/Summit experience. So many great sounds, instantly installed to device from a well designed website.
Computer music nerd. I love analog and digital music tools, instruments. I'm listening mostly to electronic music.

Re: Online Preset Management
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2023, 06:12:58 PM »
I find the biggest weakness of OB-X8 is the preset saving and management. I would love to have an online manager similar to Novation's Components app/website. They did such a good job building a framework for managing devices, including firmware updates, preset management, etc.

The SoundTower editor is just not working out for me. I keep buying their editors hoping they will get better but feels like they are just not so strong at the whole UI design and workflow thing. This type of tool really is something that Sequential / Oberheim ought to own in house. This tool could also be used to trigger calibrations, keep track of administrative stuff like this so that you know what you have installed and when. Also, it's a great way to distribute preset collections for users. This is one of my favorite aspects of the Peak/Summit experience. So many great sounds, instantly installed to device from a well designed website.

I disagree.  Let them focus on synsethizers and let some software company worry about the librarian, e.g.

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:35 AM »
Sorry if someone already mentioned this but can we get MPE please?  Really missing this from my OB-6, i just figured it would something added at some point...

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2024, 12:32:04 AM »
Sorry if someone already mentioned this but can we get MPE please?  Really missing this from my OB-6, i just figured it would something added at some point...

This a blasphemous request.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2024, 08:46:43 AM »
Two bugs to address:

-there is a volume discrepancy of about 1 dB between the voice cards, apparently this is know and being worked on.

-also, I am getting some undesirable oscillator phase locking/syncing occasionally (on voices where oscs are basically in perfect unison). It's easy to "break" with the slightest amount of detune so I wonder if there is a way to set a global minimum detune value to keep from happening. It's not something that ever happened on the old OBs and shouldn't here.
Has this ever been solved? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 09:57:35 AM by waxdoctor »

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2024, 01:17:27 PM »
Anyone know what the progress is on the next update? I know it was talked about on gearspace that a lot of features requested would be worked on but it’s been quite some time… cheers

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2024, 06:42:34 AM »
Anyone know what the progress is on the next update? I know it was talked about on gearspace that a lot of features requested would be worked on but it’s been quite some time… cheers

Been wondering this myself

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2024, 08:35:33 PM »
I don't use the aftertouch often, but when I tried it I found it unusable even with the curve 1 setting (less sensitive). It's either not enough modulation or too much. Unless there is something that I missed, perhaps?

If not then:
Firmware revision request: I wish there was a way to set the maximum amount of modulation of the aftertouch.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2024, 09:37:05 PM »
I don't use the aftertouch often, but when I tried it I found it unusable even with the curve 1 setting (less sensitive). It's either not enough modulation or too much. Unless there is something that I missed, perhaps?

If not then:
Firmware revision request: I wish there was a way to set the maximum amount of modulation of the aftertouch.

With firmware v1.1.1.0 there is a page 2 setting (or two?) to vary aftertouch amount.

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2024, 09:49:04 PM »

With firmware v1.1.1.0 there is a page 2 setting (or two?) to vary aftertouch amount.

Thanks for pointing this out to me! I have the latest firmware installed, and it is there indeed. I missed it in the user manual. Silly me.

One thing I didn't see in there is if you want the OB-X8 to power on with the last patch you were using, simply press Globals 2 times before turning the synth off (the OB6 is the same).

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2024, 05:03:38 PM »
Current wants:
- Arp beat divisions
- BPM sync'd LFOs
- Second the request to have a super fast LFO mode for very high audio rate filter modulation and/or have a fast mode for the Page 2 settings that makes the LFO run at the frequency of the key pressed divided by 4 (why not have an option to make it divided by 1? :))
- Osc 1 freq, Osc 2 freq, or both as polyphonic aftertouch destinations. We know that per voice pitch mod exists due to polyphonic portamento that can target 1 or both oscs. Amplitude would be a nice poly AT destination as well. Not sure if there's anything else possible on a per voice basis. Probably not. Maybe mod depth of triangle X-Mod?
- Level control for sawtooth X-Mod depth
- Would not be opposed to anything resembling a mod matrix :D

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2024, 08:10:57 PM »
Unfortunately, software/firmware development at Sequential seems to be VERY minimal.
I'm very disappointed.
The Pro3 should have had a major upgrade by now. Boo.

(Yes, Oberheim is a different company/name/division.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 08:16:07 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.