Firmware update feature requests/bugs

Re: Firmware update feature requests/bugs
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2022, 05:28:43 PM »
The manual refers to shortcuts, for setting the oscillator and noise levels, that do not seem to be implemented:

Osc 1 Level: The Osc 1 level control allows you to set the specific volume level for Oscillator 1 when the osc 1 panel switch in the Filter section is engaged.

Osc 2 Level: The Osc 2 level control allows you to set the specific volume level for Oscillator 2 when the osc 2 panel switch in the Filter section is engaged.

Noise Level: Similar to the Osc 1 and 2 Level parameters, this allows you to set the level of noise when the noise switch is engaged.

With Page 2 engaged, pressing these switches either turns the corresponding oscillator/noise on/off (when the Page 2 Edit Mode is Display Only) or jumps to Portamento settings (when the Page 2 Edit Mode is Panel + Display). Holding down either of these switches + the Page 2 button does nothing either.

I'm on OS 1.0.0.3.

This sounds correct? Seems like it's talking about the page 2 options for those mixer levels and I take "when the osc 1 switch is engaged" to mean that the osc 1 or 2 or noise switches need to be turned on (ie those sources not muted) in the filter section for the level to have any effect. Rather than a shortcut like "hold the osc 1 button and turn the filter freq knob to change the osc 1 volume" kinda thing people seem to be hoping for in an update.

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2022, 12:52:43 PM »
I really kind of don't like to look at it. Having owned an OB-6, I actually feel like it loses some psychological inspiration by not looking like what I consider a real Oberheim to be.

Unless they do a limited edition I'm not sure that will happen. It's impossible to please everyone when it comes to aesthetics. For me I'm more a fan of the white SEM Oberheims than I am of the OB line.

-AJ-

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »
I really kind of don't like to look at it. Having owned an OB-6, I actually feel like it loses some psychological inspiration by not looking like what I consider a real Oberheim to be.

Unless they do a limited edition I'm not sure that will happen. It's impossible to please everyone when it comes to aesthetics. For me I'm more a fan of the white SEM Oberheims than I am of the OB line.

I doubt they would sell just the metal covers. But they have made multiple versions of the same thing before (SE), with cosmetic differences, and functional ones like the switch from endless encoders to potentiometers on the Prophet ‘08. In this case, I think the main Oberheim blue line design would have been the correct decision for the OB-X8, because of what it is. It combines three synths, the second two of which had that design. The OB-X design looks like a generic placeholder that was used briefly until they settled on the design they stuck with for years after, their peak years.

In 2022, the gray squares look much more dated than the blue lines would have. As a continuation of the OB line, it makes no sense to go backwards to a design they clearly didn’t like that much, because it was only produced for a year or so before they changed it. The years when Oberheim made “the system” - including the DMX and DSX, all with the same unified design, is what people think of when they think of Oberheim. And the OB-X8 fits right into that era, with the OB-Xa and OB-8.

If anybody had asked me before it was released what it would look like, I never in a million years would have guessed it would be the OB-X. I was not pleasantly surprised, to be honest. Very disappointing.

The synth itself is a complete home run, and it’s a superficial issue, so it’s not the end of the world. But it is something that bugs me every time I look at it, and instead of getting used to it and that going away, it continues to bug me. I wish there was an option for me. And they would make more money from me if there was.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 02:40:19 PM by -AJ- »

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2022, 06:37:38 AM »
Very much need the ability to store splits and doubles as patches without having to chase down the upper and lower single patches. When I save a split, I go back later and it is gone for whatever reason.

Need the ability to tune osc down one more octave. A function through page two is fine so I don't have to keep hitting the transpose button when changing to certain patches.

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2022, 07:48:56 PM »
User Bank

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2022, 05:54:06 AM »
Always best to email sequential support directly with any feature requests, whereupon they will collate them. They don’t always read here.

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2022, 12:49:33 AM »
I would love to have the ability to assign voice count per patch. So I'd like to save some patches with only 5 or 6 voices for example. Because I usually prefer 6 voices due to how voice stealing can make things sound cleaner.

Also, in addition to the filter modes that are available, would be cool to have advanced versions of the filter modes that unlock the full range of the filters capabilities. Assuming these ranges are calibrated by software and not hardwired/hardcoded. So essentially you'd get access to a wider range of resonance on the 4 pole filter for example.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 12:52:47 AM by mrj1nx »

LPF83

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2022, 02:56:36 AM »
I would love to have the ability to assign voice count per patch. So I'd like to save some patches with only 5 or 6 voices for example. Because I usually prefer 6 voices due to how voice stealing can make things sound cleaner.

I'd be surprised if that isn't added, given the voice # configurations that were available on the originals, and since the ability to limit to 5 voices was added to the Prophet 10.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

sacguy71

• synth enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2023, 03:27:27 PM »
1. It would be good if additional banks were available for saving patches, as it stands its tricky for patch management if we are having to save over the remaining spaces over the 5 banks currently available. is it possible to add additional empty "User" slots seeing we just scroll using the Bank Knob and screen anyway?

2. also great if an insert character option was available when naming patches

3. more range on the transpose

4. Tempo info on screen for Arp.

5. When in DinSync mode would also be good if the arp tempo changed the time divisions from 1/1 through to 1/64 (T&D)

6. Different hold options in menu 2 to give us the old way and the more standard hold functions. with the hold button being so far away from key bed, at times I feel like I need 3 hands.

7. OSC1 and OSC2 Buttons, can these be set to act as "if held down, and Freq knob turned while holding" - Freq knob then acts as Osc1 or Osc2 Gain Knob depending on which one we hold?

True multi-timbral option to sequence multiple preset patches into multiple MIDI channels from a hardware sequencer. I can do this on my Virus TI2 and Elektron Digitone gear. Oberheim sounds massive and if I could sequence a brass pad, strings pad and bass patch at same time from the OB X8 that would be a godsend for me.
Oberheim OB X-8
Access Virus TI2
Squarp Hapax
Electron Rytm MK2
Moog Sub 37
Elektron Digitone
Elektron Analog 4
Tons of Eurorack modular

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2023, 12:44:28 AM »
Please is possible to get the FULL CHANGELOG and all firmware somewhere in the official site? I bought my OB-X8 before Xmas 2022 with onboard the 1.003 and now I find the 1.007 ..what about the 005 and 006?

Would be nice to know all the improvements, thnx!
_KK_

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2023, 01:14:28 AM »
Sometimes the versions with intermediate numbers don’t get released to the public. It can be that there are several bugs being fixed and each intermediate step fixes just one. That new version is given a number. The firmware is only released when the known bugs are fixed so it may have gone through a few iterations before then as each singie bug is addressed. The released version change log will likely include all the bugs that were addressed along the way between the two publicly released versions so will include the stuff from the “missing/skipped-over” numbers.

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2023, 04:01:09 AM »
Just going to update my OB-X8 to latest firmware. Looked through manual but can't see how you put OB-X8 into mode to receive update from laptop? Can anyone help? Thanks and sorry for such a basic question!

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2023, 06:15:59 AM »
Just going to update my OB-X8 to latest firmware. Looked through manual but can't see how you put OB-X8 into mode to receive update from laptop? Can anyone help? Thanks and sorry for such a basic question!

The instructions will usually be included as a text file with the download of the OS. They are also usually detailed on the forum page and post which contains the download files.

I’m presuming it’s like in the P10 - simply go to the globals menu and set whether MIDI receive is via USB or DIN and the synth will respond automatically when the SysEx file is sent to it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:18:43 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2023, 01:21:03 PM »
Sometimes the versions with intermediate numbers don’t get released to the public. It can be that there are several bugs being fixed and each intermediate step fixes just one. That new version is given a number. The firmware is only released when the known bugs are fixed so it may have gone through a few iterations before then as each singie bug is addressed. The released version change log will likely include all the bugs that were addressed along the way between the two publicly released versions so will include the stuff from the “missing/skipped-over” numbers.

Ok, got it so the public one counts also the beta.
Thnx!
_KK_

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2023, 01:24:39 PM »
Request for the next firmware:
In my studio i have adark light ambient and the red light of the leds is killing my eyes! Please is it possible to add in the global menu the possibility to dimmer the led red light intensity?
Thanks.
_KK_

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2023, 09:50:33 AM »
Dunno if anybody has mentioned this, but sustain pedal Note Off mode voice allocation could be handled better. At this point once you reach the polyphony of the instrument you're out of luck; it would be good for some voice stealing to happen there instead.

drxcm

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2023, 12:17:02 PM »
Dunno if anybody has mentioned this, but sustain pedal Note Off mode voice allocation could be handled better. At this point once you reach the polyphony of the instrument you're out of luck; it would be good for some voice stealing to happen there instead.

This is intentional - I posted a thread about it and support confirmed it is how it is meant to be.
I dislike it too.

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2023, 09:53:57 AM »
My firmware wish list:

When you’re editing a preset, the OBX8 should have a way of indicating the programmed (saved) value for any knob parameter.   Whenever you turn a knob, and it reaches the saved value of a given parameter, an LED dot in the OBX8 display should illuminate.

Poly Unison Mode ---this request should be EASY to do because they’ve already implemented this in the Prophet 10.

Ability to assign the number of voices to upper and lower when in Split mode: example: 4/4; 5/2; 2/5; 5/3; 3/5; 6/2; 2/6; 7/1; 1/7.

Split/Doubles store all settings and More User Banks.  (If adding more memory is required to make this happened, I’d be willing to pay for the upgrade). 

Ability to step through all (6) Filter Types directly from front panel.  The same Filter TYPE button could be used…. Just keep pressing the button to cycle through all (6) filters types.

Bi-timbral mode when in Split or Double mode.   Upper/Lower patches optional to receive on different Midi channels.

Since the Arpeggiator is the only additional performance fun feature we have, (no sequencer & effects), I think there needs to be more attention on updating and maximizing the Arpeggiator as much as possible.  Such as:  ability to set tempo by BPM, ability to choose subdivisions, ability to be clocked internally or externally, ability to create-&-store your own ARP patterns, use the sustain pedal to HOLD Arp,
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2023, 12:55:02 PM »
Well done Jim- For god sake Tom / Markus sort the software out this should be on par with the OB6/ Prophet 6/ Rev2- You could buy all 3 for the price almost. I am literal;ly on the verge of selling my X8 as this is so poor in comparison. Tone will only get you so far......

1. Sort the arpeggiator out - it is appalling and unusable- just use the Sequential / OB6 programs FFS
2. Where is the BPM - Everything should have it- LFO, Arp, Sequencer (when there is one)
3. Transpose- 1 octave? This is a £4,500 synth?

I'm pretty pissed off with the blatant lack of basic functionally here. You have the code - just upload it in the next software update. Seriously this synth has been out for months now.....
Matrix 12
TVS Pro
OBX8
Moog one/ Voyager
Alesis Andromeda
Jupiter 6/2 /Juno 60/ JD 800
Sequential TB/ Pro One
Chroma
Waldorf Quantum

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2023, 06:44:40 PM »
I don't own an OB-X8 but I've seen a video demo where the synth was in layer mode, and you couldn't tweak the filter cutoff of both layers simultaneously, but that was an early firmware revision and Oberheim/Sequential said that they were working on that. Has it been added yet in the later firmware revisions? Anybody know? Thanks.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340