Firmware update feature requests/bugs

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: Firmware update feature requests/bugs
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2024, 08:21:24 PM »
I don't use the aftertouch often, but when I tried it I found it unusable even with the curve 1 setting (less sensitive). It's either not enough modulation or too much. Unless there is something that I missed, perhaps?

I think this is the keyboard(?) [mechanical]
Aftertouch seems to be an off/on thing.

There is not a 'gradient'.   That would cost a fortune, and only happens in the poly-aftertouch keyboards.
(Technically, I get it.)

I don't trust the after-touch "curves".
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2024, 12:33:00 AM »
I think I've just discovered a bug in the main LFO speed. When the Filter Envelope reaches the sustain stage, the LFO speeds up a little, and when it goes into the release stage the LFO returns to its initial speed. The Mod 2 Env-LFO Spd parameter is set to OFF.

Very puzzling.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2024, 07:48:59 AM »
I think I've just discovered a bug in the main LFO speed. When the Filter Envelope reaches the sustain stage, the LFO speeds up a little, and when it goes into the release stage the LFO returns to its initial speed. The Mod 2 Env-LFO Spd parameter is set to OFF.

Very puzzling.

I forgot to mention that it only happens with more than 4 voices running with the LFO in OB-X/OB-Xa mode. As if the CPU is not fast enough to calculate/maintain the LFO speed whilst calculating the Attack, Decay, and Release stages of the filter envelope with more than four voices running. Maybe it's to emulate the underpowered Z80 CPU of the early machines?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 08:36:51 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2024, 09:51:57 AM »
Yet another possible bug this morning. The Aftertouch Amount setting in page 2 does not affect the modulation amount when the Touch knob is set to Mod. Pressing down a key fully down always send the maximum modulation amount even with Aftertouch Amount in page 2 set to zero.

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2024, 03:29:09 AM »
Sorry if someone already mentioned this but can we get MPE please?  Really missing this from my OB-6, i just figured it would something added at some point...

This a blasphemous request.

As an Expressive-E Osmose owner looking for a poly analog synth to pair my Osmose with. The OBX8 desktop almost ticks all the boxes. So I sincerely ask why is MPE or the ability to receive it a "blasphemous request"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 03:31:26 AM by haoleman »

g3o2

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2024, 01:21:02 PM »
It is a useful request and given the hardwired mod matrix, it will be of very limited use. Personally, I can see the appeal of per channel/voice pitch (X) and AT (Z) for filter cut-off and that would be as far as you could go with OB-X8 if it was able to interpret MPE MIDI.

For the rest, synths with a flexible mod matrix (eg Hydrasynth, 3rd Wave) will be a better fit for this special purpose. Unfortunately, the Prophet 12, which also comes with such a mod matrix, would benefit the most from MPE but it is no longer supported. Hopefully, Sequential will one day fill this void.

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2024, 06:48:10 AM »
Quick update: Someone named Sally from Focusrite/Oberheim/Sequential support has replied to me and confirmed the software/firmware bug I’ve mentionned before about the aftertouch not working right for controling the modulation. The software team are working on it. So stay tuned for an eventual upcoming update (no date estimate given).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 06:49:46 AM by AlainHubert »

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2024, 04:12:04 AM »
Like to add a second feature request. Be able to save global tuning per patch. Global tuning is global as it is now and per patch tuning in page 2.

I second this request. I've been experimenting with the alternate tunings and while I love the feel that some of them create while I'm improvising, non-equal temperament is about as application-specific as features get. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have a bank of patches that each utilise an alternate tuning of my choice. This would facilitate experimentation, and do away with the necessity afterwards to return to the Global menu to reset the X8 to 12-tone.
On a related note, I have to commend whoever it was in Sequential that collated and implemented these 64 tuning schemes. It seems like a real labour of love and I for one really appreciate it, because they're fascinating to explore.

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2024, 12:37:44 PM »
It still blows my mind that a synth this expensive doesn’t have clock divisions on it’s arpeggiator.

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2024, 10:43:39 AM »
Not sure if was here but the falling saw LFO (square+s/h) and rising saw LFO (sine+square) has to be swapped to correspond to their symbols on the panel

« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2024, 01:05:21 PM »
Not sure if was here but the falling saw LFO (square+s/h) and rising saw LFO (sine+square) has to be swapped to correspond to their symbols on the panel

Hmm? They do exactly what is shown on the silkscreening when modulating something on my OB-X8.