Patchup - a new sysex messaging application for the Prophet X

Patchup - a new sysex messaging application for the Prophet X
« on: August 17, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
Hello everyone. About a year ago I was workshopping a patch on my Prophet XL and felt intimidated to stray too far from the original sound. Saving/finding copies of a patch on most synths is a pain and my memory isn't good enough to remember every little change.

So I wrote a little program that saves and loads the patches for me. I named it Patchup.
I think there's a saying about how software is never done, so I spent a good chunk of my free time over the last year iterating on Patchup. It'll work with any MIDI device, but there's some special functionality built in just for the Prophet X. For example, a single button press to send a request program edit buffer data dump. The responses are automatically saved as a new patch.

Today I've decided I can't justify dumping any more time into a program that only I use, so I've released it to the Microsoft store. It's a Windows app for now. The front end was written in React Native (as well as most of the business logic) so maybe one day I'll write a MacOS, iOS, Android, and browser version (shout-out to web assembly).

It's free, and all your data is saved locally so no need for a user account or an internet connection. You can save patches into folders and load them with a single press. You can rename them, add notes, edit the sysex directly (be careful), and more.

It'd be wonderful if you can try it out. It would be mildly heroic if you can provide feedback. Thank you.
https://patchup.app/
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/patchup/9NGFHJ4DGT72?hl=en-us&gl=US

Re: Patchup - a new sysex messaging application for the Prophet X
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 08:46:29 AM »
Nice looking piece of work. I will give it a shot at some point. One of the first things I wrote in 1982 was a sysex patch transformer and editor for the Roland JX-8p. I sold a lot of them. Ran on the Apple II and the Commodore. These tools are handy as I too am always trying NOT to overwrite programs.. unsuccessfully sometimes. When I started with Sequencers I would often just keep the patches in the workstation and just send them down when needed. Never lost one after that. Thanks for the work.

Re: Patchup - a new sysex messaging application for the Prophet X
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 06:35:55 PM »
Nice. I can't imagine people paying for my app, but I used to have a JX-10. I could've used a program like that - though it would have to run on something a little more modern  ;)