Interactive Sequencer Step Editing Mode (Don't save change)

Interactive Sequencer Step Editing Mode (Don't save change)
« on: August 02, 2022, 06:07:17 AM »
Just checking if I'm doing something wrong.

When I use the Interactive Sequencer Step Editing Mode ( Press the record button twice quickly.) and made some change, when I press the Record button to exit the edit mode, all the change I just did are deleted and gone.

Is someone have the same issue?

Thanks

chysn

Re: Interactive Sequencer Step Editing Mode (Don't save change)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 10:47:39 AM »
You don't need to double-press the Record button if you want to change the value of individual steps. Simply select your track (with Track Select), then make your change while holding down the appropriate Step button.

I think you're describing the Interactive Mode as it's intended. It's for auditioning potential changes, and then returning the sequence to its saved form when you're done. I don't find it that useful. But to simply change sequencer data, you don't need to go through any of that.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 11:28:22 AM »
Interactive Sequencer Step Editing Mode ( Press the record button twice quickly.)

Actually, I think that is an "Interactive Sequencer Step *Playing*[/audition] Mode" you're getting into.
...Now you can press each step-button to play that step and hear it.

As chysn said above, if you want to edit a step "live", you can just hold a step-sequence-button [at any time?] and hit a new note (or change a parameter?) to update that step data [Press a step-button and change the ...Filter Cutoff!  - So cool!].
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:33:30 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 01:35:39 PM »
You don't need to double-press the Record button if you want to change the value of individual steps. Simply select your track (with Track Select), then make your change while holding down the appropriate Step button.

I think you're describing the Interactive Mode as it's intended. It's for auditioning potential changes, and then returning the sequence to its saved form when you're done. I don't find it that useful. But to simply change sequencer data, you don't need to go through any of that.

Thanks for your answer Chysn.

I contacted Sequential support and told me it's a know problem and it will be fix in the upcoming update.

I already use the method you mentioned but for me, I really like to to hear the step and the change made in real time by pressing the step.. Also in the method you described, Let's say I want to change the not A for a D, I have to go back on track 1 to 4 to get the note recorded. if I'm on track 5 to 16, I can only record the modulation but not the note.

Cheers

I already used the method you described and it work well.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 01:40:18 PM »
Interactive Sequencer Step Editing Mode ( Press the record button twice quickly.)

Actually, I think that is an "Interactive Sequencer Step *Playing*[/audition] Mode" you're getting into.
...Now you can press each step-button to play that step and hear it.

As chysn said above, if you want to edit a step "live", you can just hold a step-sequence-button [at any time?] and hit a new note (or change a parameter?) to update that step data [Press a step-button and change the ...Filter Cutoff!  - So cool!].

Thanks for your answer.

Here what sequential told me.

Thanks for reaching out and for supporting us here at Sequential, happy to help with this. The issue you are seeing with the interactive step edit mode is a software bug that will be addressed in a forthcoming update. Apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime. 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.
Best,

Gus
Sequential LLC | Oberheim

chysn

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 03:21:37 AM »
Oh, so it’s supposed to change the actual sound. Thanks for passing that along!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Pym

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 10:40:34 AM »
It should retrigger when you press the step again to trigger the note. This isn't a realtime editing behavior, it's step editing, I never intended it to work in realtime. It's editing the step param, NOT the actual param. The step param does not control the voice in realtime, it doesn't even go directly to the voice, it is handled by the sequencer.

One of the keys here is having it sound the same when you playback as when you are editing, so sometimes I choose to limit the granularity to have it closer to the final output. This is one of those cases.

Worth considering doing it another way but I'm not so sure it's a bug or whether it will be 'fixed' in another update

Thanks for your answer Chysn.

I contacted Sequential support and told me it's a know problem and it will be fix in the upcoming update.

I already use the method you mentioned but for me, I really like to to hear the step and the change made in real time by pressing the step.. Also in the method you described, Let's say I want to change the not A for a D, I have to go back on track 1 to 4 to get the note recorded. if I'm on track 5 to 16, I can only record the modulation but not the note.

Cheers

I already used the method you described and it work well.
Sequential

chysn

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 05:23:20 PM »
* * * This isn't a realtime editing behavior, it's step editing, I never intended it to work in realtime. It's editing the step param * * *

Worth considering doing it another way but I'm not so sure it's a bug or whether it will be 'fixed' in another update

Whether it's a bug or not depends on what you think the use case is. As it is right now, it's not "step editing" because there's no way to save the changes you make here to the Program you're working on. Once you press Record to get out of this mode, your sequence is reverted to the state is was in when you entered this mode.

It seems like the best use is to turn the Step buttons into a control surface...? That's kind of neat, but it would still be better if what you change becomes part of your Program.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:26:55 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Pym

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 09:06:25 PM »
Yeah that certainly shouldn't happen, it's an edit mode for the sequencer. I'll double check. I don't see why it wouldn't save. Hmm.

* * * This isn't a realtime editing behavior, it's step editing, I never intended it to work in realtime. It's editing the step param * * *

Whether it's a bug or not depends on what you think the use case is. As it is right now, it's not "step editing" because there's no way to save the changes you make here to the Program you're working on. Once you press Record to get out of this mode, your sequence is reverted to the state is was in when you entered this mode.

It seems like the best use is to turn the Step buttons into a control surface...? That's kind of neat, but it would still be better if what you change becomes part of your Program.
Sequential

Pym

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 08:15:47 AM »
I assume you are still holding the step while editing? The whole point of the mode is it changes the steps to playing back the sound with the step params. It does not simply change the entire interface to control a single step's params. It gives you a quick way to play back what that still will sound like... press step to listen, change param while holding, press step again to confirm. Faster than it was before.

Sequential

Pym

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 08:17:30 AM »
This doesn't change. The main panel controls still control the sound as per normal. When you hold a step and change a param, it changes the step params as per normal.

This mode only changes the operation of the step buttons to trigger the sound with the step params rather than turn the steps on/off. I considered doing this using the keyboard keys but it opens up a whole can of worms to do it that way.

Oh, so it’s supposed to change the actual sound. Thanks for passing that along!
Sequential

chysn

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »
I assume you are still holding the step while editing? The whole point of the mode is it changes the steps to playing back the sound with the step params. It does not simply change the entire interface to control a single step's params. It gives you a quick way to play back what that still will sound like... press step to listen, change param while holding, press step again to confirm. Faster than it was before.

It sort of feels like we're not understanding each other. I'm going to provide a precise procedure that illustrates the original poster's question. If this describes intended behavior, there's no bug:

(1) Turn on a Pro 3

(2) Hold the "Down" button and press "Up" to create a Basic Program

(3) Double-press "Record" and confirm that "Record" is flashing

(4) Hold down Step 1 button. Confirm that C6 plays. Do not release Step 1 button.

(5) While continuing to hold Step 1 button, press the first C# key on the keyboard. Confirm that the Step 1 display changes to C#3, and that C#3 plays. Release the Step 1 button.

(6) Press the Record button. Confirm that the Record button is unlit. Observe that the Step 1 note reverts to C6.

That's it. The question is, is the Step 1 note supposed to revert to C6 when the above procedure is performed?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:22:24 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 03:23:06 AM »

It sort of feels like we're not understanding each other.

I was reading the reply and I got the same thought.

Pym

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 01:55:55 PM »
Yep, that helps thanks! The revert behavior should not happen. Very strange, I know I tested it so must be something non-obvious.

It sort of feels like we're not understanding each other. I'm going to provide a precise procedure that illustrates the original poster's question. If this describes intended behavior, there's no bug:

(1) Turn on a Pro 3

(2) Hold the "Down" button and press "Up" to create a Basic Program

(3) Double-press "Record" and confirm that "Record" is flashing

(4) Hold down Step 1 button. Confirm that C6 plays. Do not release Step 1 button.

(5) While continuing to hold Step 1 button, press the first C# key on the keyboard. Confirm that the Step 1 display changes to C#3, and that C#3 plays. Release the Step 1 button.

(6) Press the Record button. Confirm that the Record button is unlit. Observe that the Step 1 note reverts to C6.

That's it. The question is, is the Step 1 note supposed to revert to C6 when the above procedure is performed?
Sequential

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 11:37:21 PM »
Yeah, I reported this bug months ago, too. I can never get the changes to save, it always reverts back.

-Brad

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 06:03:20 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Once I exist the interactives step edit mode, all sequencer changes are reverted to the state before entering the interactive step edit mode. What's going on here?