Thoughts on paddles vs wheels?

LPF83

Thoughts on paddles vs wheels?
« on: July 30, 2022, 01:35:05 PM »
Anyone else jonesing for a desktop version in part for the ability to use mod/pitch wheels instead of paddles?  On one hand I would like it if the desktop version offered mini-paddles, just to experience that aspect of the Obie line, but deep down I know I'm a wheel guy and know I will play more expressively if I don't have to unlearn certain playing techniques when I'm playing only one out of many synths.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Thoughts on paddles vs wheels?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 06:49:25 PM »
I've been using wheels for many years, but I have also paddles on my Oberheim Matrix-6 (which I use mainly as a MIDI controller for my OB6) and, although it takes a bit getting used to them, I don't mind them at all.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 04:29:21 AM »
I've been using wheels for many years, but I have also paddles on my Oberheim Matrix-6 (which I use mainly as a MIDI controller for my OB6) and, although it takes a bit getting used to them, I don't mind them at all.

What is the paddle equivalent of moving the modwheel to a fixed position for an extended period of time and using that position as the "home" value?

In other words, for a given patch, moving the wheel up slightly to get a small amount of vibrato, and then moving up or occasionally down to zero while playing but ultimately back to where it was..   Can that be done without using an LFO amount knob or does it always snap back to zero like the Roland sticks?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 07:01:25 AM »

What is the paddle equivalent of moving the modwheel to a fixed position for an extended period of time and using that position as the "home" value?

In other words, for a given patch, moving the wheel up slightly to get a small amount of vibrato, and then moving up or occasionally down to zero while playing but ultimately back to where it was..   Can that be done without using an LFO amount knob or does it always snap back to zero like the Roland sticks?

I believe thats what the "depth" knob right above the paddles does.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 09:00:47 AM »

I believe thats what the "depth" knob right above the paddles does.

I'm guessing that's similar to LFO amount.  Part of my question admittedly relates to creature of habit syndrome on my part.  My fingers prefer to be able to work the warble amount and pitch wheel side by side...  Which I'm sure may be possible depending on placement of depth knob, I just prefer that certain playing mechanics are consistent across all synths.  Its the same reason I don't play as well on mini or non-standard keys..   the size difference screws up my sense of finger distance

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:07:03 PM »
I believe it’s a part of the Oberheim experience

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 07:00:36 AM »
...or does it always snap back to zero like the Roland sticks?

I believe that paddles on Oberheim synths are spring-loaded and always come back to the center position.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 02:13:31 PM »
With the paddles you have the ability to pend individual oscillators which is something you can't do on the regular wheels (Unless the synth has a modulation matrix like the REV2/Prophet X/Pro 3 etc).

The intro to this track you can clearly hear this effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7U1YZNgwnY

Also interesting to note, synthesist Dave Lawson modified his Prophet 5 Rev 2 with an Oberheim pitch bender so he could get the same effect for the Death Wish 2 soundtrack with Jimmy Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTxxwnpjQM

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 04:14:39 PM »
With the paddles you have the ability to pend individual oscillators which is something you can't do on the regular wheels (Unless the synth has a modulation matrix like the REV2/Prophet X/Pro 3 etc).

I think something like 7 of the 10 synths I play most often can do that, and then of course there's multi-tracking... but yeah, being able to have access to this aspect full Obie experience including the paddles is one reason I'd like to see mini paddles on the desktop unit.  I just wonder if I did get the keyboard version, how it would affect my playing.

One of my Novation controllers that currently lays unused had what I considered a nice feature... It was a Roland-like pitch/mod stick, but it had a switch on the side that allowed you to make it a self-centered stick or one that holds its last set position.  Nifty as it was, I still always preferred the two wheels.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 12:14:14 AM »
Nord's wood pitch stick is cool too.

But the paddle of the Oberheim were designed to reproduce the feeling of a guitar neck (most of the times, to make a bend, you pull the strings)

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 12:55:57 AM »
I think you get used to the paddles pretty quickly, even if they don’t seem as intuitive. The one thing I wish is that you could apply modulation in both directions instead of just paddle down (mod paddle up is just dead.)

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 04:00:21 AM »
I think you get used to the paddles pretty quickly, even if they don’t seem as intuitive. The one thing I wish is that you could apply modulation in both directions instead of just paddle down (mod paddle up is just dead.)

I haven’t got my OB-X8 yet but from what I can understand from the User Manual it can be set up or down.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 10:35:01 PM »

I haven’t got my OB-X8 yet but from what I can understand from the User Manual it can be set up or down.

Yes indeed, page 25, item 21:

"Pitch Lever Direction: Normal, Reversed. Sets the operation of the
Pitch Lever. In Normal, default mode, the pitch is raised when the lever
is pulled toward you and lowered when it is pushed away from you.
Reversed mode sets the opposite directionality for the lever."

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 03:38:30 AM »
Didn't receive my OB-X8 yet either, but I think reversing won't make the modulation paddle work "in both directions" though; only one direction will increase modulation.

Would be an awesome "page 2" feature if both directions could be used and assigned different targets (eg "push forward to increase LFO", "pull back to change filter frequency")