Boss RE-20 Space Echo Pedal

Re: Boss RE-20 Space Echo Pedal
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »
What a beautiful sound!

Tape echos are really something special in combination with analog synthesizers.

There is currently a new one being made, although without reverb and it uses common cassette tapes: the Space Case Tape Echo. More on the expensive side at $650 and in short supply, but it seems to sound very nice from what little one can hear on the demos.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »
Everyone's using the Strymon's these days and I think I'm almost tired of the sound.  The Boss strikes me as unique.

I use only two effects: reverb and delay.  I'm using the Lexicon MX300 for reverb and I'm quite happy with it.  I'd like to replace my Nanoverb 2, which I use only for delay.  It's actually not bad, but it does get a bit hissy at the higher levels.  Perhaps another Lexicon is in order, but I've been curious about the Boss because of the long venerable history of the Roland Space Echo.  The many demos I've listened to offer only a limited sense of it, and only a few are done with a synthesizer.

The Boss RE-20 is a fantastic pedal. Sounds very, very good. It's also included as an effect type in the new Boss DD-500, which is highly recommended.

I, too, and getting tired of the Strymon sound. Strymon effects just tend to scream "I'M USING A STRYMON!!!!" They color the sound a lot.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »
I still have a sense I'd really like this delay, but I haven't come across any demonstrations that appealed to me.  I wish Boss would put it in a tabletop format, rather than a clumsy pedal.  Wouldn't it be nice if someone came out with a line of effects especially designed for keyboards?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:23:40 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »
I still have a sense I'd really like this delay, but I haven't come across any demonstrations that appealed to me.  I wish Boss would put it in a tabletop format, rather than a clumsy pedal.  Wouldn't it be nice if someone came out with a line of effects especially designed for keyboards?

Marc Melia uses one exclusively with his Prophet 8 pieces.

He's currently, IMO, the best synthesist alive today. So if it's good enough for him... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99h4XTDiM5g

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 11:58:24 AM »
He and I had a couple of brief chats about that.  It's actually not his first choice.  This is what he wrote:

"I love the RE-201 Space Echo sound, but since touring with it would be quite complicated, I decided on getting the RE-20 emulation. In any case, I'm sure other options would also be a good choice as well...".

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:03:27 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
Interesting. I would say, it's still a good choice, but I would maybe wait and see whether Roland come up with something in that direction this NAMM.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
Marc Melia uses one exclusively with his Prophet 8 pieces.

He's currently, IMO, the best synthesist alive today. So if it's good enough for him... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99h4XTDiM5g

I wonder if Marc will eventually succumb to GAS?  I actually like seeing some one stick with one instrument and draw from it so much music.  It's refreshing beside the usual mad dash to buy new stuff and produce little more than demos with it, before moving on to more new equipment and repeating the same cycle over and over.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:03:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
I was interested in the Korg for a while, but I was hoping for something less guitar-oriented and either in a module or rackmount form.   Have you tried the SDD-3000? 

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
I didn't, but I've heard good things. I forgot about the pedal part, sorry. I mainly posted it because they're selling it at a discount.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
If I went the pedal route, I'd go with the Electro-Harmonix effects.  I did like them; they have the right balance between control and complexity, and the sound is natural.  I found that they didn't color the tone of the instrument.  But I never specifically settled on a delay.  However, I'm not too fickle, and would probably be perfectly happy with DSI's onboard effects.  I even find the Evolver's delays to be sufficient.  It's the form that I'm picky about.

For anyone who's interested, here's a demo of the Korg pedal with a Prophet 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4O_mCxC96A
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:23:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »