XL Keybed - I Give Up

XL Keybed - I Give Up
« on: July 18, 2022, 09:56:24 AM »
After almost a year of trying to get used to it, I'm done with the XL's keybed. It is stiff, slow and the keys themselves are blocky and wide. There's really little good about it. I'd switch keybeds if I could. So far no luck on that.

Between the lack of updates, poor 8DIO support, and the lousy action I'm at a loss here. The stereo filters are incredible. I love the effects. Blending DCOs and samples are a great idea. The modulation routing is very intuitive. There's a lot to like here, but NOT if you don't like PLAYING it. Yes I can MIDI it to another keyboard with action I like, but the XL it TOO BIG to be a module.

Yes, I am frustrated. My first synth was a Pro One purchased 40 years ago. Lifelong Sequential fan here. I can't get my head around how this synth is being abandoned by Sequential. 

Re: XL Keybed - I Give Up
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 10:46:15 AM »
Keyboard actions are quite intensely personal.  The Prophet XL keybed isn't to my taste, either, but I've heard from others who like the very firm action.  As I understand it, the springs which give this particular Fatar model its characteristic feel can be swapped out for something lighter – mostly described by those who owned 76-key Kurzweil keyboards with the same design – but it's not something I've ever attempted.