Did REV2 get a vintage knob feature?

Did REV2 get a vintage knob feature?
« on: July 13, 2022, 03:37:47 AM »
I read some post in search a year ago it was wished for.
And there was a fw update in december if I remember correct.

Makes quite a diffferent in particular for DCO based synths, like DeepMind and such.
There you can set amount of parameter and pitch variation and rate too.

Thanks.

Djinn

Re: Did REV2 get a vintage knob feature?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 07:54:05 AM »
Hi autosynther, no dsi prophet 8 rev2 does not have vintage knob (it does have a slop parameter which is close to a vintage knob) also the step sequencer can be used to apply a vintage type character to your sound (look up creative spirals vcm description and presets) the rev2 has no more space in the internal memory for any new features so a vintage knob to replace slop is highly unlikely sorry hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:57:42 AM by Djinn »

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 08:21:02 AM »
Thanks for extensive reply with suggestions.
Yes, Osc Slop is not bad at all.
This is the knob that changed to Vintage with a setting on P6 and OB6, as I recall.

Gated sequencer is very interesting feature too.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 10:03:05 AM »
There's some free VCM templates on my PresetPatch profile:

https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/creativespiral

If you type "VCM" in the preset search box in middle of page, I've uploaded a bunch of vintage voice modeling templates (basically INIT patches you can start patch designs with), plus a bunch of other voice modeling patches/examples for Rev2 (and other synths)

Slop only affects osc pitch, and introduces a bunch of random, artificial drifting motion... it's okay for stabs and other shorter ADR sounds, but not really a good vintage modeling emulation.   It certainly has its place though, as an interesting sound design element.   The vintage knob type of modeling in P5/P6/OB6/T5 uses the same sort of approach that I've been advocating for over past few years - stable, curated per-voice offsets to osc tunings, filter cutoff, resonance, envelope attack/decay/release timings, and other params

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 11:16:54 AM »
Much obliged, spiral, and thanks.

I talked to a shop to buy a REV2-16 module, since not in stock, and just $100 more than REV-8 believe or not.

Will order as soon as I get estimated delivery. :)

maxter

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 12:14:40 PM »
I talked to a shop to buy a REV2-16 module, since not in stock, and just $100 more than REV-8 believe or not.

That's interesting, as once upon a time when I checked online prices, the Rev2-8-module cost more than the Rev2-8-keyboard version, just $50 or so, but quite odd anyhow...  :o
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
Yes, I saw similar things. Maybe I did not state that both were modules I stated $100 difference. Was a bit unclear.

Most places here in europe say 3-4 weeks before any more in stock.
I found one in stock and on it's way now.
They stated next in stock july 27th after my order, don't know if they will succeed in that or not.

I looked at REV2 2019 some time, then 16 voice were something like €500 more than 8 voice.
Now €100 is a no brainer what you will get. But seems that 8-voice gained in price. 8-voice module was €1400 then and now about €1900.

A pity there is not a poly unison, but copying one layer to the other and do at least two voice unison I imagine will be massive and still have 8 voice poly.

I looked in manual for transpose of layers independently.

Is that doable or do you move oscillators on the B layer?
- I have to do that on Prologue adjusting layers if doing split so left side has relevant octave

Thanks for any thoughts.

maxter

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 03:54:52 PM »
A pity there is not a poly unison, but copying one layer to the other and do at least two voice unison I imagine will be massive and still have 8 voice poly.
Yup, it would've been really great with true poly unison.

I looked in manual for transpose of layers independently.

Is that doable or do you move oscillators on the B layer?
- I have to do that on Prologue adjusting layers if doing split so left side has relevant octave

Thanks for any thoughts.

Well yes, either transpose both oscillators on one layer, or use a Mod-Matrix slot routed to Osc1+2 pitch in that layer, with DC offset as source (which basically just acts as "fixed" ratio).
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 07:50:36 PM »
Thanks for reply.

Yes, that DC source seems incredibly useful for many things in mod matrix.