Make REV2 binaural - cool tutorial

Make REV2 binaural - cool tutorial
« on: July 16, 2022, 07:48:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ur13KroFo

Almost drowning in reverb, but that you can remedy to more in your face.

Looking for ways to use layers I found this.
Really neat....

maxter

Re: Make REV2 binaural - cool tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 04:13:02 PM »
And there you have the DC offset source in action...

This treatment is used by "The Musical Synthesizer"/"Sacred Synthesis" a lot, but generally on 2 coupled synths, such as the Prophet '08. Check out his stuff for inspiration on how to make the Prophet sing in binaural...

The above trick could be used with pan mode set to "alternate" as well, with positive and negative amounts for each respective layer, when used in "stack" mode. Not as useful perhaps, but still interesting.

You could also use more modulation of the panning than simply the "fixed" DC offset. Like an LFO, to make the binaural timbres travel to and fro, in opposite direction... to make them move around a little in the stereo field. Or for example, an envelope, where they're somewhat centered at the onset, then at decay or release point, they drift out to their respective sides. Makes for a distinct, noticeable onset of notes/chords, which then kind of floats outwards, making the next notes/chords more distinguishable when they enter in the center. There's so much one can do with the Rev2 in this regard. Maybe not totally unique for a synth, but awesome none the less.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »
Thanks for suggestions, seems really interesting. Will search those channels for sure :)

REV2 is really generous in features.
- 4 LFO's
- 3 envelopes
- 4 gated sequencers
- dual timbre

and what struck me was that not only 8 slots for modulations since LFO's and Aux Env can be set to most destinations without using up a slot. So for real 13 modulation slots one could say.

And 16 voice machine, that is a lot.

My thinking is also trying dual timbre, but with voice panning each different too. The strict pan left/right of layers does not seem necessary to me.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 08:53:49 PM »
While at it, I'd like to give credit to Creative Spiral for this tutorial using gated sequencer in very interesting ways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9HG3k3vvQ

if by any chance it was not posted here before.

Thanks for job well done. :)

maxter

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 03:40:07 PM »
There are also some more slots, with fixed modulation sources. CC#1, CC#2, CC#4, AT and Velocity... The first three are mono though, affecting all voices. Well, AT is too, unless you use a poly-AT controller.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3130.msg57657.html#msg57657

The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »
Thanks.
I will probably have my REV2 here tomorrow and will see.

Hope everything is available pressing source and turning a knob, since I am not using software editors.
Saw in VCM tut above that you can at least in software pick a direct routing from gated sequencer to destination without using a mod slot, if that also is available not using software.

Seems the number '8' for routings does not do REV2 justice. If numbers in gated sequencer serves the purpose for the destination mod matrix is not necessary either for that if not needing to scale it.

Either way, will be fun....