OB-6 with PlugSE: recording automation in Ableton Live?

OB-6 with PlugSE: recording automation in Ableton Live?
« on: July 15, 2022, 11:33:32 PM »
I'm having a few struggles with the OB-6, PlugSE and Ableton Live:

I set up PlugSE on track 1, and I created another MIDI track that receives MIDI from PlugSE and sends MIDI to PlugSE. To record, I arm this second track.

When I record a MIDI clip by playing on the OB-6, I can see that the automation of the pitch bend, mod wheel and sustain pedal have been recorded. But with the OB-6's Local Control off, none of these controls have any effect on the sound of the OB-6. And when I play back the clip, again none of these recorded automations have any effect on the OB-6. It's just the notes playing back, with no pitch bend, mod wheel or sustain pedal.

If I record automation by twiddling knobs on the OB-6, I can see the knobs in PlugSE turning as I record, and it does affect the sound of the OB-6 while I'm playing. But again when I play the clip back the automation has no effect on the OB-6.

I have played around with arming the track containing PlugSE and recording the automation there instead, but I cannot seem to get the automation played back to the OB-6 no matter what I do. I can add an LFO device in Live and make it twiddle the knobs of PlugSE, and this does have an effect on the OB-6, but I can't seem to play back automation that I have recorded manually.

Can anyone help? I feel like I must be misunderstanding something fundamental.

Re: OB-6 with PlugSE: recording automation in Ableton Live?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 08:18:05 PM »
I'll reply to myself in case anyone else has this issue. I contacted SoundTower and it turns out the issue is that the VST3 version of PlugSE is not completely functional. Switching to the VST2 version fixed most of the issues.

One odd thing remains though: Ableton Live won't record the twiddling of knobs (NRPN data) onto the same track as the CC data from pitch bend, mod wheel and sustain pedal. The CC and note data goes to my main MIDI track, while the knob turns go to the PlugSE track. So I have to arm two tracks for record - the MIDI track that sends and receives data from PlugSE and the track with PlugSE on it. To replay the performance I have to play both tracks. It's a bit awkward, but I think it's a limitation of Ableton Live. I've seen other people complaining that Live doesn't record NRPN data. Other DAWs seem to do a better job and record all the CC and NRPN automation onto a single track.