Prophet~6 Main Outputs

Zac James

• Smoke me a kipper.
Prophet~6 Main Outputs
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »
Hi All,

I've cross posted this at gearslutz as well...  Am I going mad, or just being incompetent?

------

I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour, or if I've got a fault...

When I've got my P6 patched into my 01v via the main L/R output, with the master pot on the P6 set to max, and the input padded by -20db, I'm hearing distortion on any sounds played. (All my other bits of kit I usually have outputs set to max to make sure the signal is loud and to eliminate any noise floor from interference.)

If I have my cans plugged into the headphone out on the P6, I can't have the master too loud, but about 1/3 to 1/2 way I don't hear the same distortion, and the signal / sound is perfectly clear and un-distorted.

So If I turn the pad switch off on the mixer, and leave the P6 master at about 1/2 way I get a clear signal.

I've tried different inputs and cables, but get the same result.

Any ideas anyone? Or am I driving the P6 too hot ?

Re: Prophet~6 Main Outputs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
Hi Zac - in the Op Manual, at the bottom of the Misc Parameters page it does mention that the P6 generates a high output that can produce clipping and suggests keeping an eye on the Program Volume, the Osc levels in the Mixer and/or the Env Amount of the VCA. In other words, you're not going mad, nor incompetent it's just a loud synth with a number of places where levels can overtake common decency!!

I'm finding as I program patches that, depending whether I'm using monitors or headphones, and whether it's a quiet night or an open-window afternoon, my patch levels are a bit all over the place. Not a problem at this point as I'm only using the synth for recording and I'm adjusting as I go, but when I'm skimming from patch to patch with headphones on, danger!