I just want to say..

Re: I just want to say..
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 02:09:56 PM »
I am going to assume the OS wasn't windows. I will also assume they wrote a custom kernel or more than a few hardware drivers for the prophet hardware.

It's an embedded OS of some description.  Possibly QNIX, if some preliminary investigations people have made into the filesystem are accurate.  I very much doubt there was any custom kernel code, and chances are no driver work was required as it would be easy enough to interface through a standard port on the motherboard for which a driver would have already been included.

Any questions about future availability of parts is pure speculation.  In practice, it would seem the work the x86 motherboard is doing isn't anything especially exotic and so I'd be surprised if compatible parts were actually that tricky to procure.  Sequential has a remarkably good track record of supporting their products so I see no reason to believe this would be an exception.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2022, 07:20:16 PM »
Good post. Thank you.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2022, 06:06:35 PM »
I thought more about your post and no. The displays don't provide what a user needs. In the PX there are so many lists of things that it becomes tedious to find what you're looking for. I don't want to scroll through one element at a time  to find what I thought I was looking for.  A larger single display would provide the screen re-estate to see almost everything at once. When scrolling through samples or effects I want to see where I was and where I am going. Impossible with tiny little displays showing one element at a time.  So, I'm bound to stick with my displeasure here. I'm open, but I'm not at all satisfied. $1400 plush shipping for anyone that wants this! I know. My bad for buyin' it. I wanted the sound but.. not ecstatic about that either.

Thank you for your input. You do know your stuff.

LPF83

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2022, 06:25:22 PM »
$1400 plush shipping for anyone that wants this! I know. My bad for buyin' it. I wanted the sound but.. not ecstatic about that either.

You could get more than that just by listing on Reverb, I'm pretty sure.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 04:01:09 AM »
I thought more about your post and no. The displays don't provide what a user needs. In the PX there are so many lists of things that it becomes tedious to find what you're looking for. I don't want to scroll through one element at a time  to find what I thought I was looking for.  A larger single display would provide the screen re-estate to see almost everything at once. When scrolling through samples or effects I want to see where I was and where I am going. Impossible with tiny little displays showing one element at a time.  So, I'm bound to stick with my displeasure here. I'm open, but I'm not at all satisfied. $1400 plush shipping for anyone that wants this! I know. My bad for buyin' it. I wanted the sound but.. not ecstatic about that either.

Just sell it.. You don’t like it - fine! Just sell and move on, and my advice is to really test out the next synth you replace it with if things like UI implementation are fundamental to you

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2022, 07:45:43 AM »

For me, the display is perfectly fine. It shows exactly what I need to be shown to navigate and doesn’t over complicate what should be a simple task. It sounds like the display doesn’t show everything that YOU need, and not a general user. I personally don’t like the idea of a screen showing everything at once. In my opinion, Sequential did it right.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »
I buy something for what it can do. Not what I think it should do.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2022, 02:16:25 PM »
I find the X really easy to navigate (apart from the sampling). I don't think I've ever read the manual.

But even if it wasn't intuitive, I'd love it for the sound of its stereo filters which are tremendous. My personal wishes are to be able to release more sample space by deleting the 8DIO stuff (or upgrade the drive), some kind of granular synthesis and to have a proper sampling software like the Clavia synths (though Lady G's software does make it much easier). If I had to have one poly (and I have quite a few big hitters) I'd have the X. It reminds me a lot of the Prophet 2000—which I also love.

Stepehn

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2022, 12:45:35 AM »

If the UI displays did not provide what this user wants, I could not program the synth.

I think Sequential have done it right in terms of the displays being in the general UI area that they relate to. It works for me.

I brought the Prophet (and my Summit) for a more tactile synth and I think a small company with limited resources has done a great job.

There are a few little things I do not like about the UI, but it is impossible to please everybody fully, and I over the years I have learnt to live with the flaws in my synths (show THE one that is perfect?) and so far I have never sold one because I did not get on with it.

Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!