Sound crackling issue

Sound crackling issue
« on: June 26, 2022, 07:12:05 AM »
he everyone,

i’m a bit scared since my pro 3 started today with a weird behaviour.
the sound is distorted, no matter if preset or init. patch. u'll find attached an audio file. after i've updated the OS it gots worse. it's preeeetty hot in my studio (40 degrees) and when i restart the synth, the problems appear after r.a. 5 mins. it also gots worser as soon as i tweak the filter or envelopes. anyone with the same issues? thanks!

chysn

Re: Sound crackling issue
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 04:14:18 PM »
It'll be worth contacting Sequential support, as this obviously isn't how it's supposed to sound. Sequential employees occasionally say things on this forum, but it's hit-or-miss, and you won't usually get hardware support questions answered here.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 02:57:06 AM »
thanks chysn, you are always there! :)
i wrote to the support in parallel and they told me it was a faulty power inductor which should be repaired. i am leaving the post so that others can find their way around who may have the same problem.
unfortunately, i am out of warranty and will have to pay for the repair myself.
serial #: 00272
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:59:04 AM by chrisusu »

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 03:35:42 PM »
Same issue seems to be happening with mine. Terrible distortion once it heats up. How complex was it for you to repair yourself?

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 08:41:57 PM »
Same issue seems to be happening with mine. Terrible distortion once it heats up. How complex was it for you to repair yourself?

You might want to look up "fixing a power supply on a synth" or similar, on youtube. I wouldn't trust myself to do that, but if your good with electronics and... micro-soldering...

If you're out of warrantee, and shipping is too expensive, a Local electronics expert* might be cheaper. (*Make sure you get a quality "repairperson".)

Otherwise, go with Sequential's advice.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 04:51:54 PM »

haven't managed to send in the synth yet. but here in germany there is a contract partner who will do the repair for little money. gonna let you know.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 07:04:26 AM »
My issue seems the same but mine is brand new. So far I'm loving it for what I bought it for. I'm not new to analog synths so I know you can create distortion and clipping by manipulating wave envelopes etc. My problem is that no matter what patch I'm working with from Init to a preset to test it, the warmer it gets the more distortion it has. At 33C-36C it's fine, then once it hits 37C it starts to have minor popping and clicking and then 38C and above its def in there. If I turn the unit off and start over after it cools down the same patch has no clipping, distortion etc. My studio is 20-23C so its def not the ambient room temp. With my Matriarch and Polybrute they need time to warm up before the circuits sound better so it's backwards with the Pro 3 which makes me think it's just a faulty unit and needs to be repaired or replaced since it has a 2yr warranty from where I got it

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 07:05:55 AM »
My issue seems the same but mine is brand new. So far I'm loving it for what I bought it for. I'm not new to analog synths so I know you can create distortion and clipping by manipulating wave envelopes etc. My problem is that no matter what patch I'm working with from Init to a preset to test it, the warmer it gets the more distortion it has. At 33C-36C it's fine, then once it hits 37C it starts to have minor popping and clicking and then 38C and above its def in there. If I turn the unit off and start over after it cools down the same patch has no clipping, distortion etc. My studio is 20-23C so its def not the ambient room temp. With my Matriarch and Polybrute they need time to warm up before the circuits sound better so it's backwards with the Pro 3 which makes me think it's just a faulty unit and needs to be repaired or replaced since it has a 2yr warranty from where I got it

Hey, did you ever get this sorted out? I am also having the same distortion issues. It renders mine completely unplayable. Curious to know what your serial number might be? Mine is in the 1600’s but mine is the SE version. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 07:08:08 AM by Rimshot1971 »