Arp/Seq sync to external MIDI

Arp/Seq sync to external MIDI
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:20:43 AM »
Hi people! I have a question.. Hope someone can help.
I am trying to sync my prophet to the acoustic drums in our band.
We´re using a drum machine to send metronome to drummers headset, and midi clock to our synths.

I have a Nord Lead A1 which has an option called "Master Clock Keyboard sync". When this is on, the arpeggio is started exactly whenever I hit a key. However, when it is off, the arpeggio only starts in sync with the master clock (internal or incoming midi), meaning, it won't start off beat, and will always sync with the incoming midi clock.

The Prophet 6 does not act the same way.. Even if I have a midi clock signal on the midi in, the arpeggio will start exactly whenever I hit a key. So if I miss the metronome/clock just a little bit, it will be out of sync. Same with sequencer.

The Prophet 6 manual states:
"You can sync the Arpeggiator to external MIDI clock, or even an external audio signal."

So.. When it says sync to external MIDI clock, should´t that mean that the arp syncs to the midi clock, and will only start in sync with the midi clock?!?
Or does it simply mean that it will be played at the same tempo as the incoming external midi clock?

Or.. (hopefully) am i doing something wrong..?

If not, maybe this could be included as an option in future OS update?

Thanks for the help! :)

Chi

Re: Arp/Seq sync to external MIDI
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:57:20 AM »
No, your not doing anything wrong!

see here:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,483.0.html

This is because the arp sync's to the clock speed only. It does not have the ability to 'beat sync' so it won't trigger on beat divisions unless your timing is absolutely perfect.

Having no choice to beat sync the arp is a real shame. :C

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
I see!
Thanks for the link!

Hope beat sync for the sequencer (and arp) is added to the next os update! :)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
+1 on this feature request. Getting arpeggios to play in sync is really tough, especially when you're recording though a DAW and have latency in your audio chain to contend with.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
You can sync the arpeggiator to an external audio signal.  8)
Input the signal via the footswitch-sequencer jack, and set up in the Global menu under 'Seq/Jack' setting (button 1). Its on page 13 of the current manual.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:26:56 PM by Signifier »