RE: Inconsistent Volume Between Presets

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
RE: Inconsistent Volume Between Presets
« on: June 18, 2022, 03:33:44 PM »
Hi folks,

One of the (frustrating) aspects regarding the Prophet 16 Rev 2 I have discovered is the vast differences in volume between the factory presets, and also within a couple of 3rd party soundbanks I purchased of recent. I mean, some are circa 50% louder/quieter than their neighbour location.

Does anyone else feel frustrated by these discrepancies? ::)

Have any users tried to address the problem by 'rebalancing' the library as best they can? And if so, did you simply tweak the 'output level' amount accordingly, please?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)
Prophet 16 Rev 2

Re: RE: Inconsistent Volume Between Presets
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 04:01:27 AM »
This is just how it is. If you really want all to have a similar level, you'd probably need to set them all to 127-127, then figure out which is the quietest, and then adjust all levels downward to match that quietest one. Obviously, this is a big hassle. I did this with a subset of my patches that I often use in one set. By doing so, you do of course slightly limit the volume dynamic of the "loudest" patches.

By the way, I am much more enjoying my rev2 since I have my L1, R1 and L2, R2 going into a little mixer, so that I can make immediate adjustments to levels of the layers/parts. This is not really a solution to the problem you describe, but it makes it much easier to work with.

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:57:25 AM »
Hi Skipgilles,

Many thanks for your help here! ;D

Sorry for the late reply but I never seem to receive email notifications of a new message landing.

I suppose my 'volume' question could be applied to any and every synth on the market!

When you performed this particular procedure with your subset-patches did you test/monitor such discrepancies via a DAW (ie. by viewing the meters), or else playing the synth through headphones and trying to aurally distinguish any differences.

Regards.
Prophet 16 Rev 2

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 04:12:09 AM »
Quite common that Amp envelope amount is used to alter volume between patches.
Check that out too, maybe. Easy to forget.

Nordleads even have CC7 connected to amp gain, which is the same as amount on others.