RE: Keybed After-Touch (opinions?)

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
RE: Keybed After-Touch (opinions?)
« on: June 18, 2022, 03:22:33 PM »
Hi folks,

The 'after-touch' facility on the Prophet 16 Rev 2 is great. However, I do get rather concerned that I'm going to snap some of the notes due to the amount of pressure I am applying! :-\

Do anyone else worry about this key-snapping possibility, or is everyone quite comfortable with the unit's durability, please?

I'm guessing there is a setting where the 'pressure' amount can be adjusted, per preset.

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)
Prophet 16 Rev 2

LPF83

Re: RE: Keybed After-Touch (opinions?)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 04:57:31 AM »
Hi folks,

The 'after-touch' facility on the Prophet 16 Rev 2 is great. However, I do get rather concerned that I'm going to snap some of the notes due to the amount of pressure I am applying! :-\

Do anyone else worry about this key-snapping possibility, or is everyone quite comfortable with the unit's durability, please?

I'm guessing there is a setting where the 'pressure' amount can be adjusted, per preset.

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

I haven't heard of anyone applying so much force that they snapped off keys (on any keyboard actually) -- the level of force that would be required for that to be even a concern would be far in excess of the force required to use aftertouch effectively. 
Trent Reznor used to do this thing on stage where he would use his boots to strip the keys off of synths and send them flying, but he had to work pretty hard at it :)

You can adjust the pressure curves in globals (see p.16) of the manual :

https://yo41t1y5gos9jw8f3lptw0xo-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Prophet-Rev2-Users-Guide-1.2.4.pdf
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 11:34:52 AM »
Hi LPF83,

Many thanks for your response.

That is reassuring to know that I can apply pressure to the keybed without fear of reckless damage. The 'Aftertouch' facility is something I would like to use as I like many of the pre-programed modulations. Also, I do like the touch/response of the keybed action overall. Many synth models offer cheap and nasty designs as you will know (I won't mention Behringer! ;D).

The page in the manual of which you reference seems to be relating to the instrument's 'Stack' mode settings?

Cheers,

Paul
Prophet 16 Rev 2

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 12:03:36 PM »
The page in the manual of which you reference seems to be relating to the instrument's 'Stack' mode settings?

I believe you're viewing the page number displayed by the .pdf viewer for purposes of printing etc...  Try the page number in the manual itself, displayed at the bottom of each page.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »
Hi LPF83,

That's great, found it now!  8)

There is a range of four Curves.

(I have PM'd you also.)

Paul
Prophet 16 Rev 2

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »
. . . do most users here just leave the Curve at the default setting?
Prophet 16 Rev 2

Mauro

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 12:25:55 AM »
. . . do most users here just leave the Curve at the default setting?

One for me

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »
Hi Mauro,

Thank you very much for your thoughts on my question.

Paul
Prophet 16 Rev 2