Using the REV2 as a MIDI keyboard

Using the REV2 as a MIDI keyboard
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:26:19 AM »
Hello everybody!

Is it possible to let the REV2 only send MIDI notes but not parameter changes while at the same time using the knobs for regular local control, but not the keyboard, so it only plays notes with its own keyboard when I select it in my DAW? Turning off local control turns both off, which is not what I want.

Many thanks.

Re: Using the REV2 as a MIDI keyboard
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 11:13:35 AM »
In Globals, try setting "midi param send" to off and turning local control on.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 06:13:40 AM »
In Globals, try setting "midi param send" to off and turning local control on.

Thank you for the tip, but that way I’d always have to mute the REV2 when playing other synths with it.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 08:35:31 AM »
Thank you for the tip, but that way I’d always have to mute the REV2 when playing other synths with it.

Yep...When I use the Rev2 as my main controller, like the last few months, local control on/off gets used constantly. It's a small price to pay IMO as the Rev2 keybed is my favorite for aftertouch. Check out the midi interfaces by iConnectivity. They might offer a solution. I like how the Moog Sub37 deals with this. It has separate local on/off switches for the keys, wheels and panel. But the keybed isn't so great for me as a controller.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 08:47:37 AM by RobustAmerican »

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 07:12:34 AM »
I've never had to toggle Local control when using Rev2 as a MIDI controller. I always leave it off.
If I want to control the Rev2 itself, just select it in the DAW. Any parameter changes and MIDI notes then get sent into the DAW and looped back out to the Rev2. If the Rev2 track isn't selected in the DAW, the keyboard controls whatever other synth or VST I have selected and no sounds are triggered from Rev2 itself.
All you need to do is configure MIDI In and Out correctly in the DAW, which varies depending on which one you use (I use Cubase).