RE: Editor / Loading Presets (newbie)

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
RE: Editor / Loading Presets (newbie)
« on: June 11, 2022, 09:42:28 AM »
Hi folks,

My first ever post here as I only purchased my Rev 2 '16' a couple of days ago.

I am aware there is already a thread discussing an Editor, by member CodeKnobs. Does this mean that there is NO 'official' Editor for the Prophet 8/16? If so, why did Sequential choose to not release one, please? - seems a bit odd to me to be honest!

Anyway, I have read that the Prophet 8/16 has 8 x Banks in all: 4 x Factory (burned-in) and 4 x User (deletable). I am looking to replace all of the User Bank slots.

So, I have purchased three 3rd party retailer soundbanks. It seems that one cannot specify which Bank you would like them to be loaded into? For instance, two of the purchased soundbanks will only load into Banks 2 & 3 respectively, and the third purchased soundbank will only load into Bank 4.

I read in the manual that such 3rd party soundbanks will ONLY load into the same User Bank from which they were exported (by the retailer)?! ie. If the retailer exported the soundbank from User Bank 4 then it will automatically be loaded into User Bank 4 on the customer's unit.

I can kinda' live with that up to a certain point, I guess. However, the problem (question!) arises because there is one more soundbank I would really like to own (by LA keyboardist JP30 - see link below). JP30 states (in his advert description):

"There are 50 patches in this bank and they will load to User Bank 4 patches 1-50 on your Rev 2."

So, in my situation, I already have 3 x User Banks loaded (2, 3, & 4). But if I load in JP30's soundbank it's going to overwrite circa 40% of my current User Bank 4 presets! If so, annoyingly, my User Bank 1 is full of factory-presets which are superfluous as they are already hard-wired in Factory Bank 1 - my question being I would somehow like to direct, please, JP30's soundbank to my User Bank 1 (instead of my User Bank 4).

btw - I used MIDI-OX to make the transfers (of which I do have a couple of questions, but I'll wait until this first matter is resolved).

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66vSm53-0b8&t=295s
Prophet 16 Rev 2

Re: RE: Editor / Loading Presets (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
This article describes how you can manually alter the destination bank, by using Find/Replace functionality in MIDI-Ox:

https://www.presetpatch.com/articles/Sequential-Dave-Smith-Prophet-Rev-2-Overwriting-Factory-Patches

You can change destination to a different User Bank, or even overwrite Factory Banks with these methods. 

Find:
F0 01 2F 02 03   

Replace:
F0 01 2F 02 00   

The above example would replace all instances of Bank 4 (03 hexidecimal) with Bank 1 (00 hexidecimal) 

As always, best to backup everything you have first, before doing these type of operations, in case there is a mistake.

The hex bytes are
F0:  Sysex Start
01:  Sequential
2F:  Rev 2
02:  Patch Destination Info to Follow
BB:  Bank Number
PP:  Patch Number
XX:  Data
F7:  Sysex End

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 01:07:42 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »
Hi there CreativeSpiral,

Many thanks, I just read through the linked article. This is actually quite new to me so I'll probably come back with some (stupid!) questions again. ::)

But it's great to know that specifying the location of a SysEx User Bank is actually possible.

So you can even overwrite the factory-presets also? That's very useful to know because, personally, I would only use circa 20% of them at the very most.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to perform the above you have to be connected via MIDI cable and not USB?

Anyway, at least I now know that I can purchase other soundbanks from 3rd party retailers and store the contents as I so wish. I was beginning to panic a little over the matter to be honest!

Best,

Paul
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 01:31:50 PM by monsterjazzlicks »
Prophet 16 Rev 2

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 01:45:31 PM »
You can do Sysex transfers via USB or MIDI.    Just make sure your Globals settings are correct -- to tell Rev 2 which ports it should be using for In/Out/Sysex.

With editor programs (Soundtower, Codeknobs) you can also target different banks...  Also, many sound designers (myself included) provide alternative bank versions with soundset downloads, so you might be able to just use those, depending on which banks you're installing. 

ps:  When sending via MIDI-Ox, make sure you have "Delay after F7" set to at least 500 milliseconds or so... possibly longer... this Sysex setting will make sure your computer doesn't send over patches too fast for the instrument to digest them correctly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 01:49:14 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »
Hi again CreativeSpiral,

I have d/l the trial of Soundtower, thanks.

"Delay after F7" (@500ms) - thank you, I did not know about this in MIDI-OX! It was set to '65'. It took me a few minutes to find the setting. Hopefully MIDI-OX will remember it. 8)

Paul
Prophet 16 Rev 2

monsterjazzlicks

• Holly~wuud!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 04:13:43 PM »
. . . have now purchased SoundTower.

Amazing customer service!  :D
Prophet 16 Rev 2