What's Next for Sequential?

Sacred Synthesis

What's Next for Sequential?
« on: June 10, 2022, 08:25:11 AM »
I hope I'm not asking this question too soon, but it's certainly on everyone's mind.  What is next for Sequential - a company that has lost its beloved founder and visionary?  Since the day, the team has been unusually quiet, and understandably so.

First, I hope Sequential releases an instrument dedicated to Dave.  That would be the honorable thing to do.  Call it the "Sequential Dave Smith Instrument." 

Second, who takes the helm?  A CEO is a CEO.  Sequential needs much more than that, someone with meaningful DSI history - a second-class relic, so to speak.  The current team possesses an abundance of experience and creativity.  I have all the confidence in their abilities.  But a leader, a unifier, an inspirer - that's a different matter.  Will it be an insider, an outsider, or Tom Oberheim?

And finally, what will be the nature of Sequential's future products?  Will the company head in new directions different from the past?  And will there ever be a new Prophet synthesizer - perhaps just one more, in memory of Dave? 

These are all questions I'd love to have the answers to, and until we see some indications, the situation causes just a little bit of stress.  I was always happy to know that, at any time, Dave was out there huddled in his shop designing possibly my next synthesizer.  It gave the sense that there was always something good just around the corner.  I guess Dave was a big part of my mental life.  Still so sad....

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 08:43:11 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: What's Next for Sequential?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »
I think the synth that Sequential was scheduled to release later this year will be the synth that's dedicated to Dave...although not in name....but in the fact it would have been the last one he worked on.

I just hope it's not a dud. What an absolute shame that would be.

After that though....I'm on the fence. It could go really well with the Sequential team taking what Dave taught them and continuing to innovate.....I just don't know if said innovation will be AT Sequential.....but I'm trying to be hopeful. I have a feeling production will transfer to the far east and Focusrite wont tolerate a "We don't have a forecast" approach that Dave had. If that happens, I can see Sequential being delegated to do analog only synths or even worse....strictly reissues and have Novation handle all the innovative synths. It's too early to tell at this point.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 04:53:35 AM »
I think it's very fortunate for everyone that Dave did sell the company to Focusrite.  Because if that had not happened, upon Dave's passing everything about Sequential would have been in a state of legal limbo, and it would very likely have been the abrupt end of everything Sequential.

At least Focusrite has unfettered legal access to Dave's existing designs, intellectual property, and R&D team talent -- thus is in the best position to move things forward toward creating instruments that are in the same league as prior Sequential instruments.

The same is likely true for the Oberheim brand... if the Focusrite deal didn't happen, more than likely the Sequential/Oberheim merger would have never happened.  Having listened to what Dave has said in multiple interviews, I'm pretty sure that this played no small role in the decision to sell to Focusrite.   Neither Dave nor Tom had the desire or wherewithall to handle all the business management matters that needed to be addressed in such a merger, so putting them in the hands of a buyer who is equipped and committed to doing so was the only way IMHO to preserve the brands long term and ensure that Sequential and Oberheim gear continues to be produced (and perhaps more importantly for existing owners of Sequential gear, supported).

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 09:18:32 AM »

At least Focusrite has unfettered legal access to Dave's existing designs, intellectual property, and R&D team talent -- thus is in the best position to move things forward toward creating instruments that are in the same league as prior Sequential instruments.

This is the part I'm concerned about. We could very well see Sequential synths being manufactured in the far east if Focusrite decide to do so. As of right now the fate of the company isn't being decided by creative innovators, it's fate is in the hands of a corporation.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 09:27:13 AM »
Sequential staffers are fairly young, and others are middle-aged.  I would think one of them might have been interested in taking over the company from Dave, if the Focusrite purchase hadn't happened.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 10:03:53 AM »

This is the part I'm concerned about. We could very well see Sequential synths being manufactured in the far east if Focusrite decide to do so. As of right now the fate of the company isn't being decided by creative innovators, it's fate is in the hands of a corporation.

I don't see anyone complaining about the quality of Novation synths.  What is your primary concern about manufacturing in the far east?  Usually when "junk" comes out of asian manufacturing facilities, it's because the company that hired them demanded the lowest possible cost and lowest passable standards, even when offered a higher standard option at a higher cost.

Personally I'd like to see Sequential continue to be manufactured in the USA, but the reality is it's only final assembly and many of the parts already come from China anyway.  Personally, I'd like to see it all brought back on shore (as much as possible at least) because I think it's politically dangerous for the US to be so dependent on foreign nations. 

But essentially when you get junk out of China, it's because the buyer demanded the lowest possible production cost...  Don't blame the makers of the junk, blame the ones who ordered it (those fine USA CEOs).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

AlanC

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 10:42:31 AM »

I doubt that'll happen.

Dave put together a company that works remarkably well and that, with each new instrument, are getting even better at what they do. That's an extremely difficult thing to achieve: a group of people who all work well together and share a common passion for what they're doing. If you take ownership of such a successful company then you really don't want to destroy what the founder created.

Plus the fact that Sequential's manufacturing is done in the US and is based close to the company is a positive advantage right at the moment. No waiting for the slow boat from China, and if you need to do revisions because of the parts shortage then you can turn things around quickly.

Also take a look at Adam Audio under Focusrite: they've continued just about exactly as they were.

Focusrite's CEO Tim Carroll appears to be very much the "benevolent dictator" providing the backing that comes with being part of a large and successful group but not interfering with the operation of a successful company. I do wonder if Dave's decision to sell the company to Focusrite was based on that fact, and that he felt being part of the Focusrite group would be a safe "home" for what he had built and would provide the best chance for Sequential (and now Oberheim) to survive in the long term.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:14:30 AM by AlanC »

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »

I doubt that'll happen.

Dave put together a company that works remarkably well and that, with each new instrument, are getting even better at what they do. That's an extremely difficult thing to achieve: a group of people who all work well together and share a common passion for what they're doing. If you take ownership of such a successful company then you really don't want to destroy what the founder created.

Plus the fact that Sequential's manufacturing is done in the US and is based close to the company is a positive advantage right at the moment. No waiting for the slow boat from China, and if you need to do revisions because of the parts shortage then you can turn things around quickly.

Also take a look at Adam Audio under Focusrite: they've continued just about exactly as they were.

Focusrite's CEO Tim Carroll appears to be very much the "benevolent dictator" providing the backing that comes with being part of a large and successful group but not interfering with the operation of a successful company. I do wonder if Dave's decision to sell the company to Focusrite was based on that fact, and that he felt being part of the Focusrite group would be a safe "home" for what he had built and would provide the best chance for Sequential (and now Oberheim) to survive in the long term.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

jg666

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 09:05:59 AM »
I also believe that it's a good thing that the Focusrite deal went ahead.

Please don't take this bit the wrong way but..... the notion that things built in America are somehow better quality is not something that everyone this side of the Atlantic believe in for all products. The poor build quality of Tesla cars when they first arrived over here is a prime example - they just did not match the quality that European car buyers expected.

Not everything made in the Far East is cheap and nasty :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 03:11:02 PM »

And finally, what will be the nature of Sequential's future products?  Will the company head in new directions
different from the past?  And will there ever be a new Prophet synthesizer - perhaps just one more, in memory of Dave? 

I was hoping at some point that possibly Sequential may have touched upon a Prophet that encompassed
vector/wavetable synthesis much like the Sequential Circuits VS or even the Korg Wavestation that I believe
may have been inspired by Mr Dave Smiths work on the related Yamaha SY and TG synths. 

Sequential have touched upon reimagining the Prophet 5, powerful mono synths from the Pro One through to
the Pro 3, and their sampling legacy of the 2000 series via the Prophet X. 

The Prophet 12 sort of touched upon that digital wavetable side of things in a very basic way I suppose.

But a new VS/Wavetable type of engine would be something I certainly would be interested in, especially
in combination with the various analogue filter types the company could use alongside the modulation
matrix possibilities that the more modern Sequential synths tend to employ.

Whatever was on the drawing board when Dave passed away will certainly be of interest.
One does wonder where his ideas may have been heading.

Sixcontrabass: - Prophet 10 Rev4, Prophet 12, DSI Tetra, ESQ1, Yamaha FB01, Korg 05R/W, Cheethah MS6, Cheetah SX16, EMU e5000 Ultra, Roland Super JV, Novation A Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware B4000, Creamware PRO-12 ASB, Behringer Dimension D, Neutron, Pro-1

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 10:42:37 AM »

And finally, what will be the nature of Sequential's future products?  Will the company head in new directions
different from the past?  And will there ever be a new Prophet synthesizer - perhaps just one more, in memory of Dave? 

I was hoping at some point that possibly Sequential may have touched upon a Prophet that encompassed
vector/wavetable synthesis much like the Sequential Circuits VS or even the Korg Wavestation that I believe
may have been inspired by Mr Dave Smiths work on the related Yamaha SY and TG synths. 

Sequential have touched upon reimagining the Prophet 5, powerful mono synths from the Pro One through to
the Pro 3, and their sampling legacy of the 2000 series via the Prophet X. 

The Prophet 12 sort of touched upon that digital wavetable side of things in a very basic way I suppose.

But a new VS/Wavetable type of engine would be something I certainly would be interested in, especially
in combination with the various analogue filter types the company could use alongside the modulation
matrix possibilities that the more modern Sequential synths tend to employ.

Whatever was on the drawing board when Dave passed away will certainly be of interest.
One does wonder where his ideas may have been heading.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Even a poly based on the Pro 3's VCO and Wavetable hybrid architecture but honestly a strictly wavetable synth would be perfectly fine as well. I'm holding off until I see where this goes. I just hope it's not another reissue.

jg666

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 03:51:02 AM »
I would definitely part with my money for a poly version of the Pro 3. The only reason I haven't bought the Pro 3 is because I already own the Pro 2.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »
Things have been sooooo quiet over at Sequential.  There's been hardly a rumble to give us a sense of their next instrument, future direction, or leadership choices.  I only hope they release a synthesizer that is, in the noblest way, a gesture in memory of Dave.

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 07:08:23 PM »
Things have been sooooo quiet over at Sequential.  There's been hardly a rumble to give us a sense of their next instrument, future direction, or leadership choices.  I only hope they release a synthesizer that is, in the noblest way, a gesture in memory of Dave.

Disclaimer: This is *fully* speculation (and gossip fodder) on my part, but my guess is that Dave's death, combined with the Oberheim merger, combined with other economical stirrings, may have created a situation where Focusrite is looking at it from the perspective of the OB-X8 being the current media darling that needs to be played out first.   Dave had mentioned an instrument that would be announced in August, and obviously that didn't happen, but I can understand how his passing threw a monkey wrench in plans.

So it's no secret that the OB-X8 has a price tag that is unapproachable for many, but from what I can see the product itself is a home run.  I don't know what the sales numbers look like, but I can only imagine that from a business perspective it may make sense to wait for that fervor to subside before introducing the next great thing.  I do wish a I had a crystal ball and knew what else might follow it.

So maybe it would make sense to discuss what we'd like to see?   For me, one item would be a reissue of the Pro One that did for monosynths what the Rev4 did for polysynths.  The AS-1 actually nails the sound I think but not the panel/tactile experience, so I believe this legend could be remade at a very attractive price point.  Another one would be a Prophet VS reissue, and on the Oberheim side an affordable TVS or Matrix 12.

I do realize I'm mostly living in the past here and asking for remakes of vintage gear that I cannot afford and/or aren't willing to take the investment risk, but my experience has been that specialized instrument simplicity trumps feature sets, and this is one of Sequential/Oberheim strengths.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 09:18:46 AM »
All good choices.  Then again, the Pro 3 is a masterpiece waiting to be expanded.  I would think it would be the basis for the next new polyphonic synthesizer.

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 09:07:38 AM »
 I'll say this again and keep saying it...  PEK rev2 please!     After rotating through all my synths in the last few months brought me back to the PEK.  This thing just sounds so amazing different and wide.  I was playing with the soundtower/editor sequencer and the things you can do with that tool chest are simply stunningly gorgeous.

In what I consider Dave's flagship instrument, a revision of the PEK would be a great tribute instrument.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
I'll say this again and keep saying it...  PEK rev2 please!     After rotating through all my synths in the last few months brought me back to the PEK.  This thing just sounds so amazing different and wide.  I was playing with the soundtower/editor sequencer and the things you can do with that tool chest are simply stunningly gorgeous.

In what I consider Dave's flagship instrument, a revision of the PEK would be a great tribute instrument.

To state the obvious, ditto.  Yes, a PEK Rev2 would be a most sentimental choice.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:04:59 PM by Sacred Synthesis »