Expression pedal calibration

Expression pedal calibration
« on: June 10, 2022, 03:28:19 AM »
Does anyone know if and how you can calibrate an expression pedal on the P6?

I was trying to use my Yamaha FC7 for filter cutoff and volume control, but the instrument only seems to respond to a fraction of the whole travel of the pedal, which makes smooth filter sweeps or crescendo/decrescendo not possible.

I read the manual through and through, but couldn't find anything of changing the pedal behaviour.

Re: Expression pedal calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 08:48:03 AM »
I dimly recall having trouble with the FC7 pedal on my P6. I'm currently using an MAudio pedal that seems to work ok.

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 02:11:44 PM »
Don't know anything about that particular pedal, does it have a polarity switch? You can try flicking that if it has one. Also it may have a small dial on it somewhere which sets a max / min value - try adjusting that too if you haven't already (may be set to an extreme level).. not all expression pedals have that but some do. Are there any other features the pedal itself has which may be causing the issue?

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 04:55:59 PM »
I found the answer to my question by actually thinking: the expression pedal at its lowest level just starts with the current level of the cutoff filter for whatever patch you're using. If you want to start at the lowest cutoff level, you have to turn the P6 cutoff knob to its lowest level. Then your pedal should behave just like you want it to. I imagine there are some pedals that don't work quite as well as my Kurzweil pedal, however.