Obstructing desktop air vents

Obstructing desktop air vents
« on: June 07, 2022, 12:48:58 AM »
I have a freestanding laptop stand where the tray sits within the rubber feet of my OB-6 desktop module. This means the module will sit flush against the tray and cover over the air vents in the modules base. Will this lack of air flow cause the module to heat up and would it be worth me raising it slightly with cushioning such as rubber strips? I think I may have answered my own question. 

LPF83

Re: Obstructing desktop air vents
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 04:51:13 AM »
I have a freestanding laptop stand where the tray sits within the rubber feet of my OB-6 desktop module. This means the module will sit flush against the tray and cover over the air vents in the modules base. Will this lack of air flow cause the module to heat up and would it be worth me raising it slightly with cushioning such as rubber strips? I think I may have answered my own question.

The last sentence there :)...   obstructing the vents is never a good idea, even if it doesn't affect the tuning in the short term, it's not a good practice with regard to the long-term lifespan of the electronics.  The smaller case of desktop units doesn't provide space for heat dissipation like the keyboard models, so vents are added.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC