Dave - A Prophet Ascended

Re: Dave - A Prophet Ascended
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 04:27:56 PM »
There was a synth show in Burbank CA a few years ago in March of 2019.  It was called Synthplex.  I met several cool people that day.  Tom Holkenborg, Martin Gore, and most importantly to me Dave.  We spoke for a bit and he answered my dopey questions.  He was a very nice man.  I told him my history with Sequential Circuits machines and Dave signed my Sequential Circuits book and took a picture with me.  It was a great day.  Sometimes when we meet our heroes it can be a letdown.  But not with Dave.

The Synthplex this year will not be the same without his presence.  Dave will be sadly missed.
I am a deeply superficial person...

maxter

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2022, 02:12:10 PM »
The Way the Truth and the Life

maxter

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 02:47:08 PM »
Not gonna say much as I never knew him, or knew very much about him... but maybe the above interview enlightened me with a tiny glimpse of insight into the man Dave Smith and his visionary thinking. If true, I can see why he's so highly revered.
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2022, 08:40:35 AM »

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 03:33:49 PM »
It was a very sad day when I heard of Dave Smiths passing. 

The Sequential Circuits products were always something I wanted to own.
The Prophet 5 I could not afford but had the opportunity to program these synths owned by others.

I scraped enough money to buy a used Pro One in the mid 80's.  What great machine!
Then the way I composed music certainly changed with the invention of MIDI!
I sold the Pro One to finance my first MIDI workstation.  How I wish I could have hung on to it!

Dave Smith came back into my instrument roster first with the DSI Tetra and then the Prophet 12.
Both are amazing machines that still continue to inspire and allow me to explore sonic textures
and sounds that excite and invigorate myself and my productions.

I was planning on buying a Prophet rev4 earlier this year and finally made the plunge on hearing
of Dave's death.  Having a revised classic synth that was released to commemorate his 70th
birthday is somewhat like 'coming home' for me. 
Another great sounding machine despite it's limitations when compared to modern designs.

Dave's influence on my music projects .....well I can't imagine what my musical life may have been like
without his inventions!  Never met the bloke but his instruments sit in my studio and make amazing
sounds and influence the direction of the music I produce for myself and others.

I just hope that the current Sequential company under the guidance of Focusrite
can continue to bring us instruments that inspire musicians to create great sounding music.

RIP Dave, thanks for everything mate.   You are still a true inspiration.
Sixcontrabass: - Prophet 10 Rev4, Prophet 12, DSI Tetra, ESQ1, Yamaha FB01, Korg 05R/W, Cheethah MS6, Cheetah SX16, EMU e5000 Ultra, Roland Super JV, Novation A Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware B4000, Creamware PRO-12 ASB, Behringer Dimension D, Neutron, Pro-1