Dave - A Prophet Ascended

Dave - A Prophet Ascended
« on: June 01, 2022, 07:29:40 PM »
So sad.  Condolences to family and the Seq team.

Looking around my studio, I'm surrounded by Dave's influence... so many creations that have brought countless hours of enjoyment and creativity over the past few decades.  Thank you, Dave.

The Prophet has ascended -- but you'll live on through the music, and in the hearts of synthesists around the world.   Raising a Reposado to you.

- Jason

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Dave - A Prophet Ascended
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 07:53:57 PM »
For fourteen years, my musical life has consisted almost entirely of Dave Smith's instruments.  I'm certain I wouldn't have gotten back into synthesis without his artfully tactile designs.  Back in 2007, they appealed to me immediately and exclusively, when nothing else did. 

I hope Sequential makes a special commemorative instrument in his name - something like the "Sequential Dave Smith Instrument."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:31:45 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 11:33:50 PM »
Very sad indeed.

Condolences to his family and colleagues.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 05:39:28 AM »
I look with extra fondness now at my synthesizers, each being of the pre-Sequential era and proudly bearing the brand name "Dave Smith Instruments."

It's hard to imagine what will come of Sequential.  No doubt, there's more than enough talent there to continue the tradition.  But certain types of companies need a visionary, and Dave was the man.  Who, now, will lead Sequential?  Such a ponderous question.  But surely they've been preparing for this day.  The Focusrite purchase and the new CEO suggest they were.  But what now?

I have a mad desire to go on Reverb and Ebay and buy a bunch of older DSI synthesizers.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Gosh, I miss Dave....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 10:25:00 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 11:44:39 AM »
I look with extra fondness now at my synthesizers, each being of the pre-Sequential era and proudly bearing the brand name "Dave Smith Instruments."

That's good. Every time I walked past my Pro 3 today, I got bummed out. I think I'll adopt this perspective instead. Thank you.

It's hard to imagine what will come of Sequential.  No doubt, there's more than enough talent there to continue the tradition.  But certain types of companies need a visionary, and Dave was the man.  Who, now, will lead Sequential?  Such a ponderous question.  But surely they've been preparing for this day.  The Focusrite purchase and the new CEO suggest they were.  But what now?

Whatever Dave's health outlook was at the time of the acquisition, there was surely a plan in the works. There would have been no sale without valuation, and no valuation without succession planning. Moog managed to work it out.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:00:42 PM »

That's good. Every time I walked past my Pro 3 today, I got bummed out. I think I'll adopt this perspective instead. Thank you.

Additionally, Dave had said a new product was due out in August, and while I have no doubt this sad news could delay the product release, if it were originally to be released in August, it means it was far enough along to be carried out in his absence... so we will see what it is, eventually.  I look forward to seeing what his last product was with a renewed perspective.

As Sacred Synthesis said, my instruments (only two of them actually, my P12 and AS-1) that have the Dave Smith Instruments logo on them suddenly bring a new feeling of appreciation when I'm making music.  I've heard him describe it as a "bad logo" that he never liked during the rebranding back to Sequential, but I look at the logo in a different light now because it reminds me of the man that brought proper analog back.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
Isn't the name "Dave Smith Instruments" far more personable than "Sequential"?  I realize the latter has a long and venerable history, but still.  I'll go with the personal name.

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 01:31:14 PM »
Isn't the name "Dave Smith Instruments" far more personable than "Sequential"?  I realize the latter has a long and venerable history, but still.  I'll go with the personal name.

I have a nostalgic visual preference for the Sequential logo, simply because of its presence on all of those Prophets I saw on stage throughout the late 70s/80s... its sort of like the font of the Prophet 5 logo to me, it just has a deeper history around it.  But the DSI logo also reminds me of an important part of Dave's overall career as a brilliant innovator, and certainly has new value to me now.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

kpatz

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 01:36:08 PM »
I like both logos, and I have one synth with each... an older OB-6 module with the DSI & T.O. logos and a Take 5 with the Sequential logo.

I put up an avatar on my profile which I created from the original poster image from the Sequential site, and I have both names on there. 

Dave's contributions to electronic music have touched virtually everyone on the planet, as I'm sure anyone who has ever listened to the radio, especially in the 80s, has heard a Prophet 5 at least.

Rest in much deserved peace Dave Smith. I hope you're sharing a toast with Bob Moog, Don Buchla, and Alan Pearlman and making lovely synth music in the afterlife.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 01:41:00 PM »

I have a nostalgic visual preference for the Sequential logo, simply because of its presence on all of those Prophets I saw on stage throughout the late 70s/80s... its sort of like the font of the Prophet 5 logo to me, it just has a deeper history around it.  But the DSI logo also reminds me of an important part of Dave's overall career as a brilliant innovator, and certainly has new value to me now.

That makes sense.  My nostalgia goes back only to the significant year of 2008, when I bought a Prophet '08 and fell in love with the whole DSI universe.  I actually still prefer those first few years when DSI was the tiny company that produced only the Evolver and P'08 lines, when dealing with them was like calling your next-door neighbor.  I could email them in the morning and be certain to hear back that night by 10 pm.   

I just love this advertisement:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:43:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 03:14:12 PM »

That makes sense.  My nostalgia goes back only to the significant year of 2008, when I bought a Prophet '08 and fell in love with the whole DSI universe.  I actually still prefer those first few years when DSI was the tiny company that produced only the Evolver and P'08 lines, when dealing with them was like calling your next-door neighbor.  I could email them in the morning and be certain to hear back that night by 10 pm.   

I just love this advertisement:

Unfortunately around that time I had too much going on in my life to justify having hardware and was using purely software instruments around 2008.  I've had this on and off again thing with synths since the mid 80s, where unfortunately I had to put ownership of hardware aside to make room for other priorities.  I settled down again around 2012 and started slowly working my way back to having the studio I have now.  At the time the Prophet '08 came out I wanted one, I thought it was really cool to see Dave bringing back analog..  but it wasn't in the cards for me at the time.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »

I have a mad desire to go on Reverb and Ebay and buy a bunch of older DSI synthesizers.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Gosh, I miss Dave....

My biggest fear is there is a significant corporate change in regards to their manufacturing process and development process. Dave was such a driving force behind the direction of the company that with him no longer present, we could very well see things go downhill at lightening speed.

That being said, I’m confident that everyone who worked underneath him and learned from him over the years will continue on with his innovation...be it at Sequential or new ventures.

It’s heart warming to think that Dave’s final bow in the synth world was helping his friend Tom.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 05:56:19 PM »
There is an interesting post from Roger Linn indicating that Dave was having medical problems in recent times.  This means that likely, the steps he took to sell Sequential to Focusrite were at least in part to be sure his Sequential family was in good hands after he was gone.  Just another testament to the kind person and hero he was.

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/more/dave-smith

By the sound of things, it sounds like a genetic heart condition that he knew might be imminent.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 06:10:04 PM »
I was saddened to hear this news.

Thanks for MIDI.  Thanks for your synths.  Thanks for being a decent human while you achieved all you did.

Shaw

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 12:13:12 AM »
I don’t think I’ve ever been as devastated over the loss of someone I’ve never met. Such an inspirational figure. Man… “he will be missed” is such an understatement!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 03:59:08 AM »
Damn shocking news, such a legendary figure in music production, thankfull for everything he has brought to us and fitting he leaves us with the return of his crowning glory

Thankyou Dave

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2022, 12:06:43 PM »
I was very sad to hear this.  Having used the the tools of Dave's design to design my own music for years now,  plus the connection with this forum, makes me feel a true connection with the man and his team.  God bless.

It would be wonderful to see the next release later this year (which I assume is the last instrument Dave worked on) to be  somehow dedicated to him.  I'm sure it'll be a collectors item.     
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
I was very sad to hear this.  Having used the the tools of Dave's design to design my own music for years now,  plus the connection with this forum, makes me feel a true connection with the man and his team.  God bless.

It would be wonderful to see the next release later this year (which I assume is the last instrument Dave worked on) to be  somehow dedicated to him.  I'm sure it'll be a collectors item.   

To be honest, I'm concerned for Sequential's future. This might have just scrapped everything. One of Dave's last interviews he mentioned Focusrite asked them "What's your forecast?" and he admitted they didn't have one and just did whatever they wanted to do....I can't see that approach lasting without him at the helm. I can't even see "Made In The USA" being a thing either. In either case though, the people at Sequential now are absolute gems and insanely talented so amazing instruments will be made by Dave's pupils regardless of the brand name. 

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »
THX for the great synths! RIP  :'(
Yamaha MO8, Seq Pro3, Seq Rev2/16, Model: Cycles, Moog DFAM, Modular, Akai MPC One, Pearl Mimic Pro, Midas M32R

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 02:33:34 PM »