Poll

Which of the following you would like to see implemented in a future OS update of the Prophet 5/10?

Vintage Knob 3.0 that affects VCOs, VCFs, VCAs and envelopes times independently
12 (16.4%)
A second LFO implemented in software
7 (9.6%)
An option to make the VCF envelope loopable
0 (0%)
Negative amount for the VCF envelope
9 (12.3%)
An option to choose among Linear/Exponential/Logarithmic envelopes
7 (9.6%)
More legato modes
11 (15.1%)
Something else (please specify)
27 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Which of the following you would like to see implemented in a future OS update o

Write over the factory presets, can't believe this is not possible.
Indeed. The way the minilogue handles this is elegant. One can overwrite them but a system restore menu allows one to reset just the factory presets, system settings or both.

They could implement a global menu “factory presets memory protect” option, enabled by default, but then switching it off would allow them to be replaced.

Looks like I’m in the minority with different envelope curves :( I’d love to see this on my pro 3 as well

The P5 has been my dream synth since I was old enough to, well, have a dream synth. I'm old enough now to be on my 3rd Prophet 5. It's great having a slick, reliable version at hand, always ready to rock. Of all the new rev4 features, I use... MIDI and... maybe that's it. I rarely use velocity or AT. The Prophet was built so thoughtfully first time around and it works so well as it is. I'm lucky to have a range of other gear to do other whatevers with, but I've never felt the P5 lacking for anything. Not even for extra voices! I played piano before I got my first 5, but my hands adapted immediately to having no more than 5 voices to work with. It's fab that people have the option of grabbing a P10 or upgrading their 5s, but for the way I do music, the Prophet 5 is perfect and sits at the center of almost everything. Just as I never wish my cat also functioned as a 3-D printer, it's never occurred to me to wish the new Prophet 5 could also do... things it doesn't do.

The P5 has been my dream synth since I was old enough to, well, have a dream synth. I'm old enough now to be on my 3rd Prophet 5. It's great having a slick, reliable version at hand, always ready to rock. Of all the new rev4 features, I use... MIDI and... maybe that's it. I rarely use velocity or AT. The Prophet was built so thoughtfully first time around and it works so well as it is. I'm lucky to have a range of other gear to do other whatevers with, but I've never felt the P5 lacking for anything. Not even for extra voices! I played piano before I got my first 5, but my hands adapted immediately to having no more than 5 voices to work with. It's fab that people have the option of grabbing a P10 or upgrading their 5s, but for the way I do music, the Prophet 5 is perfect and sits at the center of almost everything. Just as I never wish my cat also functioned as a 3-D printer, it's never occurred to me to wish the new Prophet 5 could also do... things it doesn't do.

Word!  :)

Vote for what you would like to see implemented in a possible update. :)

Voted something else.  Would like to see , (as has been mentioned/suggested elsewhere), adjustable depth for velocity and aftertouch control of the filter/amp/LFO separately. 

Would probably need awkward finger pressing of switches and control pots to operate adjustments in firmware/software, but I believe it would be a great addition to the new velocity and aftertouch control of a classic synth. 

Probably worth a few finger twists and addition of a nose for multiple key presses!
Sixcontrabass: - Prophet 10 Rev4, Prophet 12, DSI Tetra, ESQ1, Yamaha FB01, Korg 05R/W, Cheethah MS6, Cheetah SX16, EMU e5000 Ultra, Roland Super JV, Novation A Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware B4000, Creamware PRO-12 ASB, Behringer Dimension D, Neutron, Pro-1

My previous post was in the spirit of "I like it just the way it is/was!" but I can say an easy octave transpose option wouldn't offend my delicate old skoo sensibilities. I'd intended to use the P5 as controller keyboard when I first got it, but the octave issue made that too tricksy. Which is fine, really... I don't actually want to use the P5 as controller. It's its own creature. I've got the P6 as controller again, with my Casio Privia hooked up via USB running Pianoteq software.

g3o2

Vote for what you would like to see implemented in a possible update. :)

I voted "something else", because I'd like to see the aftertouch response fixed so that it doesn't go ballistic at the smallest amount of pressure.  Existing features fixed before new stuff added, please.

I absolutely agree. I use polyAT on my Linnstrument to control AT on my P10 desktop. Even with sensitivity set to lowest on the LS, the Prophet literally overshoots the slightest finger movement. Not very musical and quite challenging to wield it in a controlled way. So even for the Desktop P5/10, an improved AT curve control would be very welcome.

Micky

For me :

Behavior of the expression at the cutoff  (The existing steps are terrible for a synth like this ! )

Hold on/off per part

Pitchwheel-amount possible down to zero for more performance in splits and layers

Transpose +/-24 (for the keyboard-value) stored in a patch

+ Direction change for the pitchwheel would be fine. In the OB-X8 it also works

But the really important thing would be the behavior of the expression-pedal

Hello Sequential Team,
I voted for „something else“. The listed features are great but above all I wish for a long standing improvement, probably since the introduction of the original Prophet 5. You most likely guessed it:

- If technical possible, please increase the resolution of all continuous parameters… (including the resolution of ‘unison detune’ if possible)

====
Other nice features I would welcome but with much lower priority compared to the above:
- An option to invert the filter envelope would be great as it would allow to create sounds currently not possible
- A ‘depth’ parameter for ‘velocity’ and ‘aftertouch’ would help to fine tune their dynamic range. Especially ‘aftertouch’ would greatly benefit from such a parameter as its current range is rather large

Thanks for reissuing this classic instrument
-ts-

Others have mentioned octave transpose. I think a really simple implementation would be:

Keyboard button plus Group select (octave decrease) or Bank select (octave increase).

Currently holding the keyboard button lets you switch the key priority mode. This could easily be moved to holding the filter Keyboard button. it's not something you need easy access to, whereas octave transpose would be.

You can tell that live performing keyboardists were the beta testers - because I feel like most studio users would want something like the Prophet 5/10 to be a master controller, and octave transpose is pretty indispensable, at least for me. So it can't be my master controller, which totally sucks. This does not surprise me given the way things like Arps were implemented in the Prophet 12 (pretty awful IMO).

Second to this - I would love a way for the Prophet 10 - is keeping it in live panel mode even after power down. Even the System 8 allows this.

Hello Sequential Team,
I voted for „something else“. The listed features are great but above all I wish for a long standing improvement, probably since the introduction of the original Prophet 5. You most likely guessed it:

- If technical possible, please increase the resolution of all continuous parameters… (including the resolution of ‘unison detune’ if possible)

====
Other nice features I would welcome but with much lower priority compared to the above:
- An option to invert the filter envelope would be great as it would allow to create sounds currently not possible
- A ‘depth’ parameter for ‘velocity’ and ‘aftertouch’ would help to fine tune their dynamic range. Especially ‘aftertouch’ would greatly benefit from such a parameter as its current range is rather large

Thanks for reissuing this classic instrument
-ts-

Just thinking:
- Currently if all LFO waveforms are switched off the LFO is “silent” unless there is some Noise dialed-in. If instead of being silent the “LFO” would produce a constant DC voltage the mod wheel could be used to control any or all of the LFO destinations directly.

- As far as I know both filter chips (CEM/SSI) of the Prophet rev.4 provide a 2pole [12db] output (among other filter types). Provided the Prophet hardware is capable of switching to other filter outputs it would be cool to provide an option to switch either of the filter chips to another mode (both filter LEDs active). My preference would be the 2pole of the SSI 2140 chip. Naturally this would push the Prophet somewhat into the territory of the Oberheim sound. I understand that this may not be wished for. It’s just a thought.

LPF83

As far as I know both filter chips (CEM/SSI) of the Prophet rev.4 provide a 2pole [12db] output (among other filter types). Provided the Prophet hardware is capable of switching to other filter outputs it would be cool to provide an option to switch either of the filter chips to another mode (both filter LEDs active). My preference would be the 2pole of the SSI 2140 chip. Naturally this would push the Prophet somewhat into the territory of the Oberheim sound. I understand that this may not be wished for. It’s just a thought.

The Rev4, like Rev1-3 uses 4 pole filters.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Qwave

Just thinking:
- As far as I know both filter chips (CEM/SSI) of the Prophet rev.4 provide a 2pole [12db] output (among other filter types). Provided the Prophet hardware is capable of switching to other filter outputs it would be cool to provide an option to switch either of the filter chips to another mode (both filter LEDs active). My preference would be the 2pole of the SSI 2140 chip. Naturally this would push the Prophet somewhat into the territory of the Oberheim sound. I understand that this may not be wished for. It’s just a thought.
This is not possible without a new pcb, as it needs additional parts to route and switch the different pole depths.
keep on turning these knobs

Keyboard octave transpose. Please.

Just thinking:
This is not possible without a new pcb, as it needs additional parts to route and switch the different pole depths.

Makes sense… I expected as much… was just contemplating.

octave transpose - I use the p10 as my main controller (or trying to at least!)

Adjustable limit for aftertouch (mostly) and velocity amount. It's almost unusable without it (especially aftertouch).

LPF83

Aftertouch fixed in 2.0.4 and works great!   

Thanks Sequential | Oberheim!
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

octave transpose - I use the p10 as my main controller (or trying to at least!)

Why is this one so low on the list for folks? I too would like it as my main controller. I've asked Sequential since November 2020 to implement it, but it just seems to be thrown off to the wayside. After another update (yesterday/today), it's clear its unlikely to happen. It's too big of a synth to have off to the side for me.

EDIT: Heard from the developers (on Reddit no less) and they said: "It's definitely on our list and something we considered for addition this time around. However, we identified some potential operational gotchas and felt that the feature should be better thought through and designed before implementation.

Not to worry, we heard you and the feature is still on our radar."

That was awesome to hear!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:48:59 AM by acemonvw »

I wonder if an option to turn stepped vs no stepped filter sweeps are doable?  In the smooth filter sweep setting I would assume digital/midi control would not be available but I wouldn’t mind this limitation for this option when turned on.