Prophet 6 Music

Re: Prophet 6 Music
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
Hi Paul, finally got round to listening to all three of your demos of the Prophet 6 and I have to say they are absolutely wonderful. Some of the sounds you have made are the best (in my opinion) I have heard from the Prophet 6 and really show off the flexibility of this wonderful synth. I particularly enjoyed demos 2 and 3. Regarding the latter, you've nicely coaxed some of that Oberheim tone from the Prophet 6 using the new effects. Great stuff. Keep them coming :)

Oh wow. Thanks a lot for your kind words, Medibot4!

I won't do any more sound demos for the Prophet-6 after having programmed roughly 100 patches now. But I'm in the process of recording a real track now that will only feature the Prophet-6 and its effects - that's right not even external reverb or delay plug-ins shall be used as well as no external drums or whatsoever. It'll take me a while, especially since the Prophet-6 is not multitimbral, which results in investing more time for things like rhythm tracks that have to be recorded totally seperate. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Absolutely. With all of those patches it would be a shame not to develop some of them into songs. I'm sure I won't be the only one looking out for more of your tracks when they're done :)

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

Another original tune on the Pro 6, played live & in real time.
A slight tweak on preset 087 .
Prophet-6, Korg M3,Petros Classical Guitar, Gibson ES 339, Blackstar HT20,Pigtronix PK, Cry Baby, Aqua Puss. Roland VS840GX.

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
There are some excellent sounds in there, Paul.  It would be a good demo for others interested in the instrument.  I'd like to hear that early brass patch brought to the fore and showcased some time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:19:44 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
There are some excellent sounds in there, Paul.  It would be a good demo for others interested in the instrument.  I'd like to hear that early brass patch brought to the fore and showcased some time.

Thank you! I'm currently uploading the isolated track. I'll post the link in a little bit.

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »

There you go: https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/sacred-brass/s-2ynwY

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 08:52:54 PM »
I've given that a careful listen.  What gives it the slow warble - the chorus?  It's got an occasional quick delayed vibrato and slop as well.  It's a distinctive sound, and worth posting all by itself.  Thanks for the chance to study it a bit.

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2016, 09:13:03 PM »
I've given that a careful listen.  What gives it the slow warble - the chorus?  It's got an occasional quick delayed vibrato and slop as well.  It's a distinctive sound, and worth posting all by itself.  Thanks for the chance to study it a bit.

It's very simple. I made it in a way that could have also been realized on a Prophet-5 - mostly. It's two sawtooth oscillators slightly detuned and the filter envelope does that soft brass attack. There's also a bit of slop; my default is mostly something between 20 and 40%. For more expression, the velocity controls the lowpass filter and aftertouch controls the LFO intensity, which in turn modulates both oscillators' frequency. In the PolyMod section the filter envelope modulates oscillator 1's waveshape and oscillator 2 slightly modulates the lowpass filter to add a bit of sizzle.

The slow warble is Flanger 2 with a slow frequency, a high amount setting, and moderate intensity. That's the effect I was talking about earlier in another thread. It can basically sound like like an LFO that continuously modulates the frequency of both oscillators. The second effect is obviously a hall reverb. That's basically all.

The rule was also to only use internal effects, apart from the casual mixing tools. So this track doesn't feature any external reverbs, delays, or whatsoever.

I'm also quite happy with the simple but effective bass sound. This time, I followed the advice that a clear and distinct bass sound sometimes works way better if you only select one oscillator.

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 02:36:20 AM »
As with the same thread in the OB6 forum, this has been incredibly helpful. During this year either the P6 / P8 / OB6 depending on finances... I don't think there is a wrong choice here :) appreciate all the effort put into sharing experience and information in this forum :)
Searching for the perfect sound... not found it yet :)

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/aheadinclouds/ask-but-dont-receive

https://soundcloud.com/aheadinclouds/a-play-on-words

Two live improvisations. Prophet 6 only through Strymon Timeline with some Apple Matrix Reverb on one of them. Descriptions on the track pages.

Novem

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 02:09:04 AM »
Prophet 6 and Maschine on drums..

https://soundcloud.com/novem808/darkprophet6

N.

Novem

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2016, 02:12:57 AM »

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »
One new piece and a slightly remixed older one:

28 tracks of the Prophet-6: https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/shoulder-pads-noisy-smacks

8 tracks of the Prophet-6: https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/bric-a-brac

Everything you hear is pure Prophet-6. No external effects and no factory presets have been used.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:14:41 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
Very impressive, Paul.  The first piece struck me as cinema quality.

Is "Bric-a-brac" your own term for vintage?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:51:15 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
Very impressive, Paul.  The first piece struck me as cinema quality.

Thank you! - I'm very happy with this elephant-like sound that basically has the character of detuned sounding horns (I sort of started off with trumpet configurations). It's one thing to come up with unusual sounds but this one really surprised me in the end, since I wouldn't have thought that the P-6 would be capable of that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:15:56 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
I enjoy hearing some one stretch a single instrument, rather than use many instruments for only a sound or two.  This shows the artistic side of sound design - being able to draw a vast range of sounds from what is ostensibly a simple instrument.

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »

Haha, no! It's not meant to be dead serious, i.e. I didn't necessarily meant it in a derogatory sense. But there are a couple of little things that make it a sort of collection of certain vintage type sounds. But the other piece certainly fulfills that even more.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »

Haha, no! It's not meant to be dead serious, i.e. I didn't necessarily meant it in a derogatory sense. But there are a couple of little things that make it a sort of collection of certain vintage type sounds. But the other piece certainly fulfills that even more.

Oh, I didn't think you were being critical, but only having a little fun.  The name does make sense.

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
I enjoy hearing some one stretch a single instrument, rather than use many instruments for only a sound or two.  This shows the artistic side of sound design - being able to draw a vast range of sounds from what is ostensibly a simple instrument.

It's almost like an exercise. I enjoy doing that a lot, especially after I got a new instrument. It's a pain to record and it takes a little longer to get from a couple of parts to the whole picture. Other than that, it certainly adds a very practical purpose or a framework to the process of getting to know one particular instrument.

I also enjoy the limitation. Not too many distractions, and just trying to get the best out of one instrument. I know of quite a few people who also do this to overcome their writer's block.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »
Absolutely.  Limitation is a tremendous help to concentration and remaining focused.  The most difficult moment in writing or composing is often the first one, when all the possibilities lie before you.  It's only when you pick just one, to the elimination of the others, that you're finally on your creative way.  That's actually why my mind favors the Prophet '08 over the Poly Evolver Keyboard, even though my ear better appreciates the PEK, due to its far greater sonic versatility.