I love my OB6 but...

I love my OB6 but...
« on: May 28, 2022, 01:43:20 PM »
I love my OB6 but I really wish it was an 8 voice polysynth, AND that we could have different modulation levels for each destination and not a single AMOUNT knob for all of those.

Other than that it is still a superb-sounding synth. Much better than my "more powerful" Prophet REV2 16. 

Some of you might say that the upcoming OB-X8 will solve my problem? You're right. But I'll miss the SEM filter from my OB6. I hear you say: "just buy an OB-X8 and keep the OB6", but at $5K US not everyone will be able to afford both (fortunately I could).

So I guess that when the time comes, I'll surely sell the REV2 first, and then I'll see if the sound of my OB6 still justifies keeping it if I ever buy the new OB-X8.

Of course, the upcoming UB-Xa might upset everything IF it sounds as good as the OB-Xa, since it will offer 16 voices and a few added features, for 1/3 the cost of the OB-X8.

Any opinion on this?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

Re: I love my OB6 but...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
Any opinion on this?

My opinion is that the UB-XA sounds terrible in this video.  Some will say well Jack didn't take the time to learn it and he's more of a pianist than a synth player, but I think that is the sound of a lot of hopefuls dreaming that they will get a true Oberheim sound for a fraction of the cost of the true Oberheim.   He's had a lot of instruments in his hands and most of them sound quite good when he plays them.  To me it sounds like most of the B-list synths, kind of like a dead VST.

The OB-X8 has SEM filters as well as Curtis.  More than likely I will get an OB-X8 when the desktop is released but I also want to see the product Dave says is coming in August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUKX5QB_x1g

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 03:57:55 PM »
I love my OB6 but I really wish it was an 8 voice polysynth, AND that we could have different modulation levels for each destination and not a single AMOUNT knob for all of those.

Still love mine too...Just the way it is!

One of the X8 demos by J3PO had a very nice poly keys sound that someone wanted to create on the OB-6. (over @ Gearspace) I took a swing at it and got pretty close I think. Just wish I could play like that.

Anyway, here are the patches I made. "Ep Keys 1" and "Ep Keys 2". 1 has more of a keys tone and 2 has more of a guitar tone. I also added a soft poly lead/brass patch that is very simple and useful for chords as well as leads. All patches have vintage mode/knob turned on. (Tweak the vintage to your needs)

The original bank locations are in the patch names in parentheses.

Three OB-6 Patches

Anyway, I think the OB-6 can get very near the X8 on lots of sounds, not all obviously. So don't despair! We have a great synth in the OB-6!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 04:38:14 PM »
There is an SEM filter mode in the Page 2 options on the OBX8. Marcus demonstrated it on the Sonic State video "We even through in some of the old Four Voice modes"

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 11:49:46 PM »
Didn't know about the Page 2 SEM filter option on the OB-X8, thanks for pointing that out.

So, the OB-X8 might just be exactly the polyphonic Oberheim that I've been waiting for since the OB6 was announced?
In that case, there would be no need for me to keep the OB6, nor the REV2. And selling them both would cover the price of the OB-X8. A win-win situation.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 04:01:14 AM »
Didn't know about the Page 2 SEM filter option on the OB-X8, thanks for pointing that out.

So, the OB-X8 might just be exactly the polyphonic Oberheim that I've been waiting for since the OB6 was announced?
In that case, there would be no need for me to keep the OB6, nor the REV2. And selling them both would cover the price of the OB-X8. A win-win situation.

I expect the OB6/OBX8 situation will be similar to the P6/Rev4 situation.   At some point there will be a realization they are two different synths that share the same pedigree but have a different sound.   

Some will sell the former to obtain the latter....among that group of folks, there will be some number folks kicking themselves that they didn't keep their OB6.  Some folks will keep both -- this is my intention.

In my mind selling a Rev2 to fund an OBX8 would be a bit like getting rid of a hammer to make room for a screwdriver... different tools for different jobs.  But of course this varies greatly based on the types of music one wants to create, their workflow, etc.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

kpatz

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 06:09:30 AM »
From what I've read, it seems while the OB-X8 does give you access to the LP, HP, notch and BP modes of the SEM filter, it doesn't let you sweep or blend between them like on the OB-6.  So, if you use this feature, I'd keep the OB-6 handy even after adding the OB-X8.  Different synths with different capabilities.

Note, I could be wrong about this, until we see a manual or a deep sound design dive video on the X8.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 06:12:14 AM »
From what I've read, it seems while the OB-X8 does give you access to the LP, HP, notch and BP modes of the SEM filter, it doesn't let you sweep or blend between them like on the OB-6.  So, if you use this feature, I'd keep the OB-6 handy even after adding the OB-X8.  Different synths with different capabilities.

Note, I could be wrong about this, until we see a manual or a deep sound design dive video on the X8.

That’s correct, no sweep option on OB-X8.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:55 AM »
Yes the OB6 SEM is variable continously between LP and HP, and also this filter mode is a modulation destination!
I'm saving for OB6 and PX, exactly for their filter options.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:02:17 PM by GergoKovacsJazzPiano »
Prophet 6, Kurzweil Forte SE, GEM Promega 2

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 12:34:05 AM »

Other than that it is still a superb-sounding synth. Much better than my "more powerful" Prophet REV2 16. 

Some of you might say that the upcoming OB-X8 will solve my problem? You're right. But I'll miss the SEM filter from my OB6. I hear you say: "just buy an OB-X8 and keep the OB6", but at $5K US not everyone will be able to afford both (fortunately I could).

So I guess that when the time comes, I'll surely sell the REV2 first, and then I'll see if the sound of my OB6 still justifies keeping it if I ever buy the new OB-X8.

Of course, the upcoming UB-Xa might upset everything IF it sounds as good as the OB-Xa, since it will offer 16 voices and a few added features, for 1/3 the cost of the OB-X8.

Any opinion on this?

My opinion (and just my opinion):

“I love my OB6 but I really wish it was an 8 voice polysynth”

For way, way less than an OB-X8 you can of course get an OB6 desktop module anf polychain it - then you have a 12 voice OB6

“Other than that it is still a superb-sounding synth. Much better than my "more powerful" Prophet REV2 16.”

I personally love the Prophet 08, but if you think the OB6 is much better then again perhaps selling the REV2 and replacing with an OB6 module is way to go.

You have to also ask yourself though why you bought yourself a REV2 in the first place? I always struggle a bit when people say this one or that one “sounds better” as it’s so subjective. What does constitute “better” for you? For example, for me personally I solely base it on how “inspring” I find an instrument..  I tend not to care about stats or functions too much, just rather if I connect with it - but that’s just my view of course.

“Some of you might say that the upcoming OB-X8 will solve my problem? You're right. But I'll miss the SEM filter from my OB6. I hear you say: "just buy an OB-X8 and keep the OB6", but at $5K US not everyone will be able to afford both (fortunately I could).”

As someone previously answered the OB-X8 does have the SEM filter. So overall I would say make sure that you do full research before buying / selling anything to avoid any disappointment in the future. I know when starting out it’s difficult to know everything to look out for, and I am sure we have all bought stuff which wasn’t quite what we were after. But in this case you seem to have certain things in mind (number of voices, certain modulation capabilities, “sound quality” etc) so I would say ensure that the OB-X8 can fulfil this and any other critical things before spending that much on it, or selling your existing synths etc.