Backup via MIDIOX failed

Backup via MIDIOX failed
« on: May 25, 2022, 03:27:11 PM »
Argh! I just lost all the P10 patches I’ve made since November!

I went to audition a bank of patches from another user. Before I did that I did a manual dump of all my user banks into MIDIOX and saved the file.

When I loaded the other user’s patches on, I noticed some weird behaviour in that not all key presses were triggering. I power cycled the synth and it worked.

I then went to load my user banks file back on. After having done so, I noticed that the other user’s bank had not been overwritten and was still in the synth. And the key press bug was back.  I tried again - same thing.

I then tried loading my previous backup from November, which worked fine.

I tried the latest backup again, nothing. It would appear that there’s some kind of error with it. When I try loading it, the “factory” button illuminates; it’s as if it is trying to write to the factory banks instead of to the user banks. I’m not even sure if the dump process somehow dumped the factory banks instead of the user ones. (This is the first dump I’ve done from the synth since installing the 2.0.x firmware - could there be a bug with it?)

Think I’ll be writing to support tomorrow when I’ve slept.

It’s so frustrating and annoying as I’d made some great patches and now probably have no way to ever get them back.

LPF83

Re: Backup via MIDIOX failed
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »
Argh! I just lost all the P10 patches I’ve made since November!

I went to audition a bank of patches from another user. Before I did that I did a manual dump of all my user banks into MIDIOX and saved the file.

When I loaded the other user’s patches on, I noticed some weird behaviour in that not all key presses were triggering. I power cycled the synth and it worked.

I then went to load my user banks file back on. After having done so, I noticed that the other user’s bank had not been overwritten and was still in the synth. And the key press bug was back.  I tried again - same thing.

I then tried loading my previous backup from November, which worked fine.

I tried the latest backup again, nothing. It would appear that there’s some kind of error with it. When I try loading it, the “factory” button illuminates; it’s as if it is trying to write to the factory banks instead of to the user banks. I’m not even sure if the dump process somehow dumped the factory banks instead of the user ones. (This is the first dump I’ve done from the synth since installing the 2.0.x firmware - could there be a bug with it?)

Think I’ll be writing to support tomorrow when I’ve slept.

It’s so frustrating and annoying as I’d made some great patches and now probably have no way to ever get them back.

Hate to say it, but based on the info in your post it sounds more like a potential MIDIOX issue, I've never had anything like that happen with an editor, but I've had a lot of "mystery dumps" happen with MIDIOX, some of which may have been at least in part my own error.  I'm wondering if support would be able to examine the corrupt file and be able to see what the issue is..  maybe an extra byte or two at the beginning or end that can be edited out?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 05:28:03 AM »
It’s difficult to tell. Upon investigation, the dump is indeed of the factory banks rather than the user banks. So it seems the synth somehow sent the wrong banks. MIDI OX only captured what it received in the first place (unless when initiating the dump it sent some hidden command which caused the synth to dump factory banks instead of user ones).

I’ve emailed support to see if they have any clues. I can’t have this happen again, I’ll go mad.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 11:47:01 PM »
Please beware.

Just had word back from Sequential support and they confirmed I’d found a bug in 2.0.1: if you have the “factory” button engaged when you do a USR bank dump then it dumps the factory presets instead!

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 04:49:00 AM »
Please beware.

Just had word back from Sequential support and they confirmed I’d found a bug in 2.0.1: if you have the “factory” button engaged when you do a USR bank dump then it dumps the factory presets instead!

Thanks for the heads up, I think I read your initial post too quickly and didn't fully understand the scenario with my first post.

I'm wondering if this bug is present in any of their other products...
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC