3rd Wave

Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 09:45:56 AM »
Funny enough I was watching an Edgar Froese video last night with him playing in his backyard. A PPG Wave 2 and Oberheim OBX on top of it.

The idea of a
Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave (I still hate the name)
and an Oberheim OBX8 is mouthwatering.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:50:29 AM by LoboLives »

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 01:24:15 PM »
Someone did bring up a good point tho

"Waldorf Blofeld: 3-osc wavetable/VA/rompler synth with 25-voice polyphony, 16-part multitimbrality, user's custom wavetables and wavesamples (60MB sample memory), 4-octave Fatar keybed with aftertouch, metal case, arpeggiator, 16 slots mod matrix, effects etc, and all these at $1,250 in Sweetwater. In Europe you can buy it at €800/$860 from Thomann.
Tell me a really serious reason Why this new wavetable synth costs $2,545 more (or $2,935 in Europe). Tell me also Why this $3795 / 3-osc. digital synth has a 24-voice polyphony (and not at least 128) and 4-part multitimbrality (instead of 16).
Don't tell me the stupid "coz it has analog filters" or the more stupid "it has 70+ pots" or "it has 1 extra octave"."

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 06:13:06 PM »
Looks and sounds incredible

"You can record audio in and it will convert it to a wavetable in real time."---- :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beea7XxyfEo

chysn

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 05:01:21 AM »
Don't tell me the stupid "coz it has analog filters" or the more stupid "it has 70+ pots" or "it has 1 extra octave"."

The price difference is largely due to 3rd Wave having analog filters and 70+ pots, in addition to having an extra octave.

Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe the Blofeld's sound as "incredible."
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2022, 04:29:12 AM »
From Bob's Linkedin page:

"DSP design work for the Prophet 12, Pro 2, Prophet 6, OB 6, Feedback Module, Prophet Rev 2, Prophet X, Pro 3, and Prophet 5. Designed and implemented all anti-aliased subtractive, additive, and noise based waveforms for the P12, Pro2, Prophet X, and Pro 3. Designed all effects in the Prophet 6 and forward."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEi3zVtHZUk

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

chysn

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 07:17:29 AM »
From Bob's Linkedin page... etc.

That's a really impressive CV!

The Pro 3 got me interested in wavetable synthesis. These days I realize that the Pro 3's wavetable is sort of a simplified system, with one oscillator, few reference waveforms, no control over interpolation, relatively low sample rate, a small wavetable memory, etc. It's fantastic in the context of being part of a larger analog synth, and teasing the true power of wavetables, but...

...but damn, 3rd Wave is awesome. I think the price is pretty much right where it should be. Maybe after all the kids are out of college! Meanwhile, I'll make due with Pro 3 and Serum, which isn't anything I should complain about.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022, 09:21:54 AM »
From Bob's Linkedin page... etc.

That's a really impressive CV!

The Pro 3 got me interested in wavetable synthesis. These days I realize that the Pro 3's wavetable is sort of a simplified system, with one oscillator, few reference waveforms, no control over interpolation, relatively low sample rate, a small wavetable memory, etc. It's fantastic in the context of being part of a larger analog synth, and teasing the true power of wavetables, but...

...but damn, 3rd Wave is awesome. I think the price is pretty much right where it should be. Maybe after all the kids are out of college! Meanwhile, I'll make due with Pro 3 and Serum, which isn't anything I should complain about.

I'm still super hopeful that the rumored Sequential synth that was scheduled for later this year (and likely Dave's last synth) is a VCO/Wavetable hybrid. It seems like a no brainer and honestly, as incredible as the 3rd Wave looks and sounds, I'd still go for a polyphonic VCO/wavetable synth from Sequential (with 2 wavetable oscillators, control over interpolation etc. ) Perhaps with two engines like in the PX (One VCO and one Wavetable) where you can choose if you can enable and disable each engine and mix and match.

LPF83

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »
Matt is an absolutely incredible musician and I always love to see a new video from him.
But what in the hell is going on here from about 24-45 seconds in... lol.  Or is it just me?

https://youtu.be/duPz7SYj38E
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 11:17:12 AM »
Ha, that is a weird little moment  ;).        Neat looking instrument, but I'm maxed out unless a PEK REV2 comes my way.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2023, 05:08:24 AM »
So, it looks like the $3,800 price tag was just a marketing gimmick, they now want $5k.

On principle, that just rubs me the wrong way.  I suppose I will need to mark this one off my wish list.

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2023, 05:36:07 AM »
So, it looks like the $3,800 price tag was just a marketing gimmick, they now want $5k.

On principle, that just rubs me the wrong way.  I suppose I will need to mark this one off my wish list.
That was when they were available directly from the manufacturer. The markup is at least partly due to the dealers’ cut.

LPF83

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2023, 10:16:53 AM »
That was when they were available directly from the manufacturer. The markup is at least partly due to the dealers’ cut.

Perhaps you're right.... I've personally never seen the cost of direct vs retail differ by such a large percentage, but if that is in fact the case then I shall be voting....with my wallet....against the notion of inordinately high dealer markup.

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2023, 10:25:33 AM »
yeah, my "gas" was getting riled up for a bit watch' the videos, then seeing this price quelled that quick enough.   Not ever owning the original PPG myself, and considering much of the third wave's intent to copy that sound....  I wonder if as an alternative I could copy those waveforms into the Summit for example, and get some of the same vibe.  Wish the Hydrasynth could take new waveforms, might be an easier interface for that.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

LPF83

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2023, 12:05:57 PM »
yeah, my "gas" was getting riled up for a bit watch' the videos, then seeing this price quelled that quick enough.   Not ever owning the original PPG myself, and considering much of the third wave's intent to copy that sound....  I wonder if as an alternative I could copy those waveforms into the Summit for example, and get some of the same vibe.  Wish the Hydrasynth could take new waveforms, might be an easier interface for that.

As much as I would like to own a 3rd Wave, the bottom line for me is that digital sounds are well represented enough among the other synths I have (like P12, Hydrasynth, Virus, SH-4d etc) so that the price point would have to be really compelling for me to bite (notwithstanding other issues like physical space).  I have the Waldorf PPG Wave plug-in, and to my ears it does sound legimitately like a PPG Wave, contains the original wavetables, and at least in a mix wouldn't be distinguishable.  Then there are plugins like Serum that are mind bogglingly flexible.

I would most certainly love to own a real PPG Wave, but even then the reality is it would be mostly for nostalgia, which with a look-alike synth I'm only getting a facsimile of that nostalgic experience.

But everyone has different needs, so maybe it's not overpriced in everyone's mind.

LPF83

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2023, 01:02:32 PM »
https://www.gearnews.com/groove-synthesis-introduces-3rd-wave-desktop-wavetable-synth-module/

A desktop version is becoming available.  I would have preferred to see a lower voice count / lower priced model, but maybe some will be interested.

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2023, 08:32:07 AM »
Well, with the desktop available, the price is now at least in an orbit I was willing to spend.   I took the plunge and picked up the desktop module.   

After spending just a few hours on this, I can tell already that I don't miss the extra knobs that are on the keyboard unit.  I worried about that some, but there is no menu diving, just pushbuttons that consolidate.   

Had I not already read many things about this instrument, and how some previous DSI engineers were involved in the design,  I would have  still picked up immediately on the similarities in layout of the DSI/Sequential ergonomics.   Of course this is a joy to use,  because Dave's stuff leads the pack in intuitive layouts. 

I'll be selling the Summit to help offset some costs, but this should cover that ground anyway.     

LPF83

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2023, 02:48:03 PM »
Well, with the desktop available, the price is now at least in an orbit I was willing to spend.   I took the plunge and picked up the desktop module.   

After spending just a few hours on this, I can tell already that I don't miss the extra knobs that are on the keyboard unit.  I worried about that some, but there is no menu diving, just pushbuttons that consolidate.   

Had I not already read many things about this instrument, and how some previous DSI engineers were involved in the design,  I would have  still picked up immediately on the similarities in layout of the DSI/Sequential ergonomics.   Of course this is a joy to use,  because Dave's stuff leads the pack in intuitive layouts. 

I'll be selling the Summit to help offset some costs, but this should cover that ground anyway.   

Congrats on the acquisition!  One of these modules is high on my want list, but I'm not sure if I will ever pull the trigger or not.  I think if they released a 12 voice bi-timbral version in the $1,600 USD range, I likely wouldn't be able to resist further.  But maybe in the future, even at the existing price point...

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2023, 07:48:05 AM »
Thanks Lobo lives.  I spent well too much this year between getting the Pro3, a drum machine and now this.  But when friends of mine spend thousands on new golf clubs it makes me feel a little more justified ;D   I'm hoping my Summit sells quickly. Just selling thru local FB marketplace. 

I was never a voice count fanatic, so that was not of any selling point to me. I could have lived with less voices for less cost as you say.    Though I can see that once you would get past 2 layers this higher count ability being of value.  To be honest though, on instruments I've owned that allowed greater than two multi layers, I found to be a little tough navigating and keeping track of things.  So I'm curious how this will compare.    By the way, they do have a nice provision to easily layer the same patch and pan L and R so some nice stereo.

LPF83

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 05:22:24 PM »
Curious on your thoughts on the 3rd Wave Desktop so far, and any thoughts on how it compares to the P12 sonically?   Any specific likes or dislikes?

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2024, 01:07:52 PM »
The "bad" are fixable: Selecting multiparts (2,3, or 4) so as to edit all parts simultaneously is difficult.   Maybe its just the desktop, but I have a hard time getting 2 or more to flash in unison.  I'm hoping a OS fix will address this. There a couple of small bugs which again, I assume OS updates will fix.  If you are working on a patch and making edits to it, its hard to go back to patch same number to save it w/o reverting back to the program screen, which then defaults you back to default patch.  This is a workflow problem that should be fixed.   Sequencer selection for multi parts is a little odd.  Already talked to their support crew and they recognized that and plan on updating it.

The good:  Customer service for the questions I had has been fantastic and quick.  I love the waveform import to hardware made so easy.  Already have cymbal and banjo sounds imported :)     The quality of sound is superior grade, I think it takes the cake to be honest.     Right there with UDOs6 for like binural type sound if you wish to set it multiparts panned L/R. The analog waves with some drift set can get you into OB6 realm.    I'm a little slow on picking up on the 2 filter types filters in being series order, would rather had a parallel option like on Pro2.    Sequencer can do real-time recording which -alleluia!     

As for a side by side, and your P12 example,  I really haven't tried that yet.  The P12 can make so many wave forms from mutating the few that are onboard.  I always liked how the P12 how it could go really deep on the lower notes.  This seems to have a bottomless pit for low notes still being discernable.    But to me the 3rd wave just a different beast for a different purpose.  The only instrument I'm replacing due to this purchase is the Summit, which was nice, but redundant, and really offered nothing sonically unique to what I already had.  Though, I will miss the tunable scales.  I had several that I liked having in there Baroque/African/Chinese.  Anyway...whereas my other DSI stuff (and other makes as well)  each offer a unique tone or ability to the synth lineup I use.   Speaking of comparisons, the first thing I thought of when I flicked on the 3rd wave and started messing around was that I was able to get into that PEK territory more than anything else I've owned.   I hope to do a youtube soon.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:09:56 PM by Soundquest »