3rd Wave

Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2024, 10:51:55 AM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.  I did flop over to non-free running and that definitely helped.  I probably could stand to read the manual again ;).       Speaking of envelopes...have you messed with the traditional PPG envelope setting?  Seems pretty touchy on the attack front end.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2024, 05:06:05 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.  I did flop over to non-free running and that definitely helped.  I probably could stand to read the manual again ;).       Speaking of envelopes...have you messed with the traditional PPG envelope setting?  Seems pretty touchy on the attack front end.

Yes!  The Exponential vs PPG envelopes are a feature of the synth that I don't think has been covered very well in most videos.  I've never played a real PPG but I wonder if this is one of the defining characteristics of the PPG sound.

One way to highlight how different they really sound even beyond just sensitivity is to try the amp envelope with each, setting Sustain=0 and Release=0 and adjust only Attack and Decay, but put the envelope in Repeat = On, using the Decay value to control the tempo (so that it's sort of Arp-like at any given speed).  Now switch the envelope mode and notice not only the difference required of Attack and Decay values (PPG values will be much lower for a given tempo, very sensitive to small changes like you said), but the difference in the sound itself.

Having such dramatically different envelopes adds a great deal of character to this synth!
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2024, 10:28:20 AM »
Good to know, I'll give that a try.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

LPF83

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2024, 05:27:41 AM »
There's an important new menu option in firmware 1.7x that can help with eliminating clicks. 

From the release notes:
"New MISC setting per part Envelope retrigger mode to choose between env restarting from 0 or starting from the last value it reached when voice is retriggered. Use the latter for notes with super short gates. This gives you the method of re-trigger in many, (but not all), older analog synthesizers".

So by starting subsequent notes at the same amplitude as the last rather than zero, the click from sudden change in  amplitude becomes reduced or eliminated entirely.  To hear the difference, try a single sine wave on unison (with 1 voice selected) and play short notes quickly (so that the next note is guaranteed to pick up the amplitude of the previous note), and toggle back and forth between the two Envelope Retrigger Mode options.  The benefit becomes lessened as the number of voices increases, but that one of the tradeoffs of polyphony I guess.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2024, 10:05:03 AM »
Ok, thanks LPF83.  I had not noticed that addition/option.  I'll give that a try

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2024, 07:49:16 AM »
I wish the sequencer was truly independently usable on 4 (or even two) separate layers.    If you program one layer it automatically gates the other layers which limits its ability.   I've had some workaround success by splitting the keyboard so you can sort of achieve some separation.   Another easier way to get some separation is setting arp on one layer and sequencing another layer.   

LPF83

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2024, 04:14:11 PM »
I wish the sequencer was truly independently usable on 4 (or even two) separate layers.    If you program one layer it automatically gates the other layers which limits its ability.   I've had some workaround success by splitting the keyboard so you can sort of achieve some separation.   Another easier way to get some separation is setting arp on one layer and sequencing another layer.

I have only done very superficial things with the sequencer, but yeah I didn't get the impression it was designed to be a fully featured 4 track sequencer.  It's moderately useful for previewing how layers might sound interacting with each other, or if doing sound design putting together a multi layer demo of each program to quickly hear what's inside.

I can recommend the Keystep Pro for 4 track sequencing -- I actually have two of these things that I use in two separate rooms, one in black and one chroma edition (chroma edition is really nice because you can change the track LED colors).  Some may have an initially negative response to the small keys, but firstly it is a well built piece of gear and the keys have a truly nice feel to them, and secondly I don't view it as a primary keyboard.  It is just a very feature rich multi track sequencer with built in keys for input and great immediacy.

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2024, 08:01:16 AM »
Thanks for your input LPF83.   I actually have the Keystep pro.  I agree, it's a very good sequencer and I experimented with sending different tracks to each of the 3rd Wave layers.